Old 22-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Victoria Clare

Default melon problems

My melon plants were doing OK in the greenhouse until about 3 weeks ago,
when they started to wilt and dry up.

I have been watering enthusiastically every day, so I don't think it's lack
of water. Could it be that the fierce sun has overwhelmed them? Surely
melons must grow in sunnier climes than a Cornish greenhouse?

They have plenty of melons on, but it doesn't look like they are going to
ripen now. :-(

Victoria
Old 22-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Victoria Clare wrote in message .240.6...
My melon plants were doing OK in the greenhouse until about 3 weeks ago,
when they started to wilt and dry up.

I have been watering enthusiastically every day, so I don't think it's lack
of water. Could it be that the fierce sun has overwhelmed them? Surely
melons must grow in sunnier climes than a Cornish greenhouse?

They have plenty of melons on, but it doesn't look like they are going to
ripen now. :-(

I wonder if you may have a root rot: if the root system's reduced,
more watering will make it worse, as the plants won't be able to take
up the water.

You might try a suitable fungicide round the bases of the plants, and
move to foliar feeding. Won't do any harm, at any rate. I'm not sure
if replacing some of the top compost with clean stuff is feasible, as
I don't know if melons will now make new roots at that level.

Mike.