Old 24-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default football, marshmallow or fungi?

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Agreed - nothing fungal!
But I'm not going to recommend anyone to eat anything just from their
description!

I am - from that description.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Agreed - nothing fungal!
But I'm not going to recommend anyone to eat anything just from their
description!

There may well be wisdom in that.

I saw this big grey animal with large ears, tusks and a trunk. It must
have weighed several tons......

I would not advise you to try eating it. Not singlehanded, anyway.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-08-2003, 12:22 AM
shannie

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's obviously been there a little longer
than I thought as it's starting to go a little bit brown and definately
dusty as someone mentioned, it's also 'nibbled' all over with small holes
in. I missed out this time it would seem but I'll definately be watching
that part of the garden from now on, Im mad I missed it, from reading the
posts Im sure I'd have loved it. All is not lost however, I've learned
something new and been able to teach the kids too. Will let all know if
another turns up. Thanks everyone

Shannie

Old 25-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:16:15 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's obviously been there a little longer
than I thought as it's starting to go a little bit brown and definately
dusty as someone mentioned, it's also 'nibbled' all over with small holes
in. I missed out this time it would seem but I'll definately be watching
that part of the garden from now on, Im mad I missed it, from reading the
posts Im sure I'd have loved it. All is not lost however, I've learned
something new and been able to teach the kids too. Will let all know if
another turns up. Thanks everyone

Final point - be sure to leave it where you found it, to set spores!
Fungi are very picky about where they reside - I've been scattering
giant puffballs spores in my garden for years ( in what I hope is a
'des res' for the beasties ) without any luck.
You've got a head start!

As regards the nibbles - simply cut around 'em when you find an eater,
there's plenty to go round.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 25-08-2003, 01:12 AM
shannie

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:16:15 +0100, "shannie"
Final point - be sure to leave it where you found it, to set spores!
Fungi are very picky about where they reside - I've been scattering
giant puffballs spores in my garden for years ( in what I hope is a
'des res' for the beasties ) without any luck.
You've got a head start!

Thanks stephen, left it there as I hadn't a clue what else to do with
it..lol..

If it's any help the area I found it is about three feet from a hawthorn
ditch, in the most northerly part of the garden where only grass and
ditches thrive..about a foot away there's a 'run' not sure if it's badger or
fox, never go near it in case I disturb it. As said previously there were
horses on it for years ...last year when we had it ploughed the farmer who
owns the land round us (his father used to own our land way back) told us it
hadn't been ploughed since he did it with a horse when he was a teenager,
he's now in his eighties. So it appears it likes old, scrubby, never fed
land, and it was in a few inches of grass as I've not mown down there for a
while...dunno if this helps any.

Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Matt

wrote:

Final point - be sure to leave it where you found it, to set spores!
Fungi are very picky about where they reside - I've been scattering
giant puffballs spores in my garden for years ( in what I hope is a
'des res' for the beasties ) without any luck.

Have you tried when it's raining heavily? I think I am right in saying that
puffballs puff when hit by large raindrops, hence disperse their spores in
ideal conditions for germination.

Matt

---

Old 25-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

I saw this big grey animal with large ears, tusks and a trunk. It must
have weighed several tons......

I would not advise you to try eating it. Not singlehanded, anyway.

I'm having a barbie in me back garding innit. Looking for a suitale
spit.........

Old 25-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

Final point - be sure to leave it where you found it, to set spores!
Fungi are very picky about where they reside - I've been scattering
giant puffballs spores in my garden for years ( in what I hope is a
'des res' for the beasties ) without any luck.
You've got a head start!

The (many millions of) spores that will produce may circle the world a
few dozen times before they land, probably in the sea or somewhere
inhospitable.

There will be mycelium in the soil and this will persist for years and
years. When conditions are right the fruit bodies will appear.

Getting spores to 'take' is an unrewarding task. The pH has to be right
and the ground must be damp. Far better to take a small square of soil
from where a puffball has grown, and plant that. *IF* conditions are
right, you may well start a clone.

Old 25-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

So it appears it likes old, scrubby, never fed
land, and it was in a few inches of grass as I've not mown down there for a
while...dunno if this helps any.

The classic place to look for them is in meadows where there have been
cattle, epecially on flood plains. But you sometimes find them in the
oddest places.

Dr. John Ramsbottom reported that one was found under the floor of a
building which was being demolished. The builders thought it was a skull
and called the Dibble......

Old 25-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:28:00 +0100, "Matt"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Final point - be sure to leave it where you found it, to set spores!
Fungi are very picky about where they reside - I've been scattering
giant puffballs spores in my garden for years ( in what I hope is a
'des res' for the beasties ) without any luck.

Have you tried when it's raining heavily? I think I am right in saying that
puffballs puff when hit by large raindrops, hence disperse their spores in
ideal conditions for germination.

I've tried it all - including the suggestion to transplant mycelium
infected soil, but to no avail.
The last puffball I left in the garden was chucking out spores well
into the winter.

I'll have to be content with the field mushrooms that grow in the
lawn... sigh.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 26-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

I've tried it all - including the suggestion to transplant mycelium
infected soil, but to no avail.
The last puffball I left in the garden was chucking out spores well
into the winter.

I'll have to be content with the field mushrooms that grow in the
lawn... sigh.

Just an idea - if you can find any larch or spruce needles, sprinkle a
few buckets full of those about. They just might increase the acidity
sufficiently to spur the mycelium you inoculated the soil with to form
fruit bodies.

Don't expect any this year though.