Old 01-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Chris Wilson

Default Too late to plant grass seed?

I have just put up a 3/4 acre bird compound in the woods behind our
house, the post digging and netting made some mess, and I would like to
try an reestablish grass alongside the netting and around the posts ASAP.
Is it too late to plant seed now? I am in north Shropshire. Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Chris Wilson.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Tumbleweed

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I have just put up a 3/4 acre bird compound in the woods behind our
house, the post digging and netting made some mess, and I would like to
try an reestablish grass alongside the netting and around the posts ASAP.
Is it too late to plant seed now? I am in north Shropshire. Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Chris Wilson.

I planted in mid-Oct last year IIRC (there should be posts you can google)
and that was OK, but I'm in Reading. I'd have thought that now should be OK
though. FWIW, if you are just reseeding small patches, I've found that
polythene over the top makes a huge difference to germination, its 2 or 3x
faster. I have just used cut open compost bags, the sort you get 70L
compost in but I suppose any kind of thickish plastic covering would do.
They arent transparent, but they seem to work miracles.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 02-09-2003, 12:02 AM
bnd777

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:34:12 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I have just put up a 3/4 acre bird compound in the woods behind our
house, the post digging and netting made some mess, and I would like to
try an reestablish grass alongside the netting and around the posts

ASAP.
Is it too late to plant seed now? I am in north Shropshire. Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Chris Wilson.

I planted in mid-Oct last year IIRC (there should be posts you can

google)
and that was OK, but I'm in Reading. I'd have thought that now should be

OK
though. FWIW, if you are just reseeding small patches, I've found that
polythene over the top makes a huge difference to germination, its 2 or

3x
faster.

It stops the birds eating the seed too! In our case the cats ate the
birds too!
--
Martin

September is a great time to plant grass seed .......mix it in buckets of
moist soil and let it germinate for 3 days then sow it that way the birds
wont eat it as the start of the grass shoots is there

Old 02-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Peter Goddard

I planted mine late september last year, under polythene. It grew very
quickly and I was able to lift the polythene after three weeks. A year later
it is lush and green.
I used Wickes grass seed - it seemed the best general purpose grass mix
after trying a number of the more specific B&Q mixes..

Old 22-09-2003, 11:34 PM
David Hill

"........Is it too late to plant seed now? I am in north Shropshire. Thanks
........."

No problem I have sown grass seed on New years day and had it up in under 2
weeks.
As long as the temp. is 50 or over you'll have no trouble, though some nice
rain after sowing helps.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Too late to seed lawn ? Curiosity United Kingdom 2 11-10-2004 01:32 PM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM