Old 10-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Curiosity

Default Too late to seed lawn ?

Hi All

Do I still have time to seed a new lawn ?.

The FAQ quotes "but March/April and September/October are the best
times" however my soil is very wet after the recent heavy rains.

Have I missed the this optimum sowing time yet ?, should I wait until
next spring.

BTW, the location is Mid Wales.

TIA

Paul
Old 10-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Emrys Davies

'Paul,

I would definitely wait until the spring when germination will be good
and you will be able to cut it as and when you choose, rather than
risking poor germination and treading on sodden ground in late autumn.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Philip

Curiosity wrote in message . ..
Hi All

Do I still have time to seed a new lawn ?.

The FAQ quotes "but March/April and September/October are the best
times" however my soil is very wet after the recent heavy rains.

Have I missed the this optimum sowing time yet ?, should I wait until
next spring.

BTW, the location is Mid Wales.

TIA

Paul

Not too late where I am (Surrey) but possibly too late for you. If
your ground dries up enough in the next day or two I would give it a
go.

What you are hoping for is some winds to dry your ground so that you
can walk on it enough to prepare the seed bed. Then you get your seed
down, finishing just before a shower. Then it showers and suns
alternately for a week or two before winter sets in.

Unfortunately nobody knows when or if this will happen

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Too late to plant grass seed? Chris Wilson United Kingdom 5 22-09-2003 11:34 PM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM