Old 03-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Eric the Red

Default Right time of year to prune / cutback plants

I have recently moved house and inherited a garden that at one time was
planned for but for a while has been allowed to get out of control. In an
effort to try to recover things I was think of cutting things back and see
how things look.

Is this a good time of year to cut the plants back or is it better to wait
till spring?

I can not be specific on the plants but they seem to be mainly a mix of
evergreen shrubs & conifers.

Eric

Old 03-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Ron Clark

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:49:45 +0100, "Eric the Red"
wrote:

I have recently moved house and inherited a garden that at one time was
planned for but for a while has been allowed to get out of control. In an
effort to try to recover things I was think of cutting things back and see
how things look.

Is this a good time of year to cut the plants back or is it better to wait
till spring?

I've got a friend with a flame-thrower.,

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 03-09-2003, 09:22 PM
David Hill

I would be inclined to clear all the under brush and remove dead and dying
growth, and not be to drastic in the first instance.
Remember once cut down you cant stick it back if you change your mind.
look to see if you can work out what you have and when it flowers. If you
cut out spring flowering shrubs now then no flowers till 2005.
Some things like Forsythia can be cut back slowly through the winter, and
the stems brought indoors and pot into water to force the flowers, forsythia
cut first week of Dec should be in flower indoors for Xmas, same for a few
other spring flowering shrubs.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries