Old 03-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Stewart Devereux

Default Sharp sand

I've read in many texts this is good for the lawn, especially at this time
of year mixed with compost. is this the sharp sand I can buy from the
builders yard or B+Q in large plastic bags. can I mix it with say B+Q
general compost and in what ratio.Thanks

--
Regards,
Stu Devereux.

Old 03-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Stewart Devereux
writes
I've read in many texts this is good for the lawn, especially at this time
of year mixed with compost. is this the sharp sand I can buy from the
builders yard or B+Q in large plastic bags. can I mix it with say B+Q
general compost and in what ratio.Thanks

Make sure that the sand really is sharp sand, not builders soft sand as
used for mixing up mortar. Also check that it is washed, i.e. the salt
has been taken out of it. Alternatively, you can buy 'lawn sand' which
is compost and sharp sand mixed, but it costs a good deal more that way.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Stewart Devereux
writes
I've read in many texts this is good for the lawn, especially at this time
of year mixed with compost. is this the sharp sand I can buy from the
builders yard or B+Q in large plastic bags. can I mix it with say B+Q
general compost and in what ratio.Thanks

Make sure that the sand really is sharp sand, not builders soft sand as
used for mixing up mortar. Also check that it is washed, i.e. the salt
has been taken out of it. Alternatively, you can buy 'lawn sand' which
is compost and sharp sand mixed, but it costs a good deal more that way.

If you buy from a builder's merchant, it will be washed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Victoria Clare

Alan Gould wrote in news:Gh2DwaCDcjV
:

Make sure that the sand really is sharp sand, not builders soft sand as
used for mixing up mortar. Also check that it is washed, i.e. the salt
has been taken out of it. Alternatively, you can buy 'lawn sand' which
is compost and sharp sand mixed, but it costs a good deal more that way.

'Lawn sand' is sometimes sold mixed with a lawn feed and moss killer.
Check the bag if you are planning to use more than a sprinkling, or you
might burn the grass.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 04-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
If you buy from a builder's merchant, it will be washed.

If the sand is bagged it will be washed, and that will be stated on the
bag/s. If the sand is in a loose heap, it may or may not be washed.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Sharp sand ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 13 12-03-2010 10:50 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Clay soil & sharp sand - Thank You pp United Kingdom 1 09-02-2003 08:14 PM
Clay soil & sharp sand; Has anyone used woodchips? jt United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 02:05 PM
Clay soil & sharp sand pp United Kingdom 3 05-02-2003 09:30 PM