Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 AM
miklol

Default potted mint/parsley

I have the opposite problem to Janice with her unwanted mint. I have tubs of
mint and parsley I would like to grow on next year, as I am particularly
pleased with them. How do I over winter them ? They are a bit big to come
indoors.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Martin Sykes

"miklol" wrote in message
news
I have the opposite problem to Janice with her unwanted mint. I have tubs
of
mint and parsley I would like to grow on next year, as I am particularly
pleased with them. How do I over winter them ? They are a bit big to come
indoors.

They should do fine outdoors with no special treatment.

Martin

Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Mike Lyle

"miklol" wrote in message ...
I have the opposite problem to Janice with her unwanted mint. I have tubs of
mint and parsley I would like to grow on next year, as I am particularly
pleased with them. How do I over winter them ? They are a bit big to come
indoors.

I wouldn't do it with parsley: it's biennial, and will go to seed next
year. The mint should be no trouble if you don't let the tub freeze
right through. A couple of pieces of bubble-wrap on top should be
enough protection from ordinary frosts; but you could wrap the tub
with something. If you've actually got a piece of bare earth, the best
thing would be to bury the plants, complete with their potting soil,
up to the present soil level and put them back in the tub in spring.

My mother overwintered a schefflera in a pot outdoors last year, which
I wouldn't have thought possible: one night she thought it looked like
a bad frost and covered it up with some cloth. (Why *does* one's
mother always know best?)

Mike.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:46 AM
cpemma

miklol wrote:
I have the opposite problem to Janice with her unwanted mint. I have
tubs of mint and parsley I would like to grow on next year, as I am
particularly pleased with them. How do I over winter them ? They are
a bit big to come indoors.

The mint can just be left out, and comes very well from spring root
cuttings, which helps keep mint rust at bay. Chop healthy-looking roots into
2" lengths and bury horizontally about 1" deep.

As said, parsley does very badly for foliage in its second (seeding) year.