Old 03-11-2003, 08:13 PM
WasTa

Default Parsley. Any special sowing requirements?

Have just sown some Parsley and put it in the airing cupboard. Are there any
special requirements? Temperature? Darkness etc?

Trevor

East Yorkshire

---

Old 03-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Robert

: Have just sown some Parsley and put it in the airing cupboard. Are
: there any special requirements? Temperature? Darkness etc?
:
: Trevor
:
: East Yorkshire

I've never grown it indoors , usually sow in the late spring in a well
watered drill, in situ. A tip I read that seems to work is that the seeds
germinate better with lime added to the soil

Old 03-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Gary Woods

"WasTa" wrote:

Have just sown some Parsley and put it in the airing cupboard. Are there any
special requirements?

Don't recall any particular problems; the seed here (Northeastern U.S.)
winters over nicely, as do the plants, which is how I found out the seed
winters.... It _is_ slow germinating; a couple of weeks isn't unusual.
I understand. Not an early riser myself!

Old 04-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Spider

I have only ever started my seed off outdoors (on heavy London clay), but
agree with the others that Parsley is slow/erratic to germinate. Watering
them in with warm water really seems to help.
Spider

Old 04-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:08:54 -0000, WasTa wrote:

Have just sown some Parsley and put it in the airing cupboard. Are there any
special requirements? Temperature? Darkness etc?

Put the dry seed in a teacup. Turn on the ho****er tap. When the
water is as hot as it is going to get, run some into the teacup
with the seeds. Swish around for 30 seconds, then pour off the
water. Rinse twice more, then drain and sow the seed.

This gets rid of germination inhibitors in the seed coats. Your
parsley seed will come up like gangbusters as a result instead of
showing slow, uncertain germination.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 04-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rodger wrote in message
Have just sown some Parsley and put it in the airing cupboard. Are there

any
special requirements? Temperature? Darkness etc?

Put the dry seed in a teacup. Turn on the ho****er tap. When the
water is as hot as it is going to get, run some into the teacup
with the seeds. Swish around for 30 seconds, then pour off the
water. Rinse twice more, then drain and sow the seed.

This gets rid of germination inhibitors in the seed coats. Your
parsley seed will come up like gangbusters as a result instead of
showing slow, uncertain germination.

Thought my seed had all disappeared this year they were so slow to show, it
was weeks.
Thank you for that tip Roger, another to file away for future use. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 04-11-2003, 06:12 PM
IntarsiaCo

Swish around for 30 seconds, then pour off the
water. Rinse twice more, then drain and sow the seed.

Or keep the rinsed seed in water to pre-germinate and sow when the radicle
begins to show.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Raymond RUSSELL

Hello all

Here in Alsace it is said to bring bad luck
if ever you move parsley once it has germinated and taken root.

Ray

Old 04-11-2003, 07:22 PM
trevor.appleton

....thought boiling water was involved. I poured water out of the kettle a
few minutes after it had boiled onto a pot of compost (multi/JI seed 50/50
then went out to the polytunnel and sowed the seed on top, then covered with
a couple of mm of grit. I'll leave it in the airing cupboard for about ten
days then put it on a southeast facing windowsill (only spare windowsill
I've got)

thanks for the tips

Trevor

Old 04-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Larry Stoter

wrote:

Have just sown some Parsley and put it in the airing cupboard. Are there any
special requirements? Temperature? Darkness etc?

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Really fresh seed - we got some going a ~3 years ago and it now happily
self-seeds and keeps coming back each year. We now do nothing - just
keep picking it.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 05-11-2003, 07:42 AM
JennyC

"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote in message
Hello all

Here in Alsace it is said to bring bad luck
if ever you move parsley once it has germinated and taken root.

Ray

And the woman wears the trousers in a house where parsley grows well .....

Jenny