Old 06-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Rhona Emmott

Default Big pile of turf

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I'm a
keen gardener, and recently moved into a house with a pretty big (and pretty
boring) garden - big lawn with strip of shrubs round the edge.

I've been reducing the lawn by half, to create much larger borders. I hired
a turf topper for a day, and I'm half way through stacking the strips into a
pile. It is huge (about 4ft high x 4ft wide x 8ft long, and growing!) and
I'm in danger of developing muscles like Fatima Whitbred. I was hoping that
if I cover it with black plastic that by next spring I will have lovely soil
to put back on the borders. Am I dreaming? Will it take much longer than
that? Is there anything I can do to help it on its way? Will it be too dry
(its pretty dry now, and the plastic isn't going to let the rain in)?

Your advise please!
Rhona

Old 06-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Rhona Emmott rhonaNOSPAM@F
ORMEhorbury.gcsnet.co.uk writes

I've been reducing the lawn by half, to create much larger borders. I hired
a turf topper for a day, and I'm half way through stacking the strips into a
pile. It is huge (about 4ft high x 4ft wide x 8ft long, and growing!) and
I'm in danger of developing muscles like Fatima Whitbred. I was hoping that
if I cover it with black plastic that by next spring I will have lovely soil
to put back on the borders. Am I dreaming? Will it take much longer than
that?

Probably about a year or possibly two but make sure you stack the turves
(well, at least the last couple of courses) upside down.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 06-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Zipadee Doodar

"Rhona Emmott" wrote in message
[...]

I stacked turf between March and August 2002. I was able to spread good loam
over my new beds in May this year, with just occasional bits of fibrous
roots which were easily removed by raking.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Andrew Glass

[...]

A couple of years back after digging a couple of vegetable beds I had loads
of turf as well. Stacked it in a box shape around 8ft by 6ft by 4ft high.
Makes a nice natural compost heap boundary, just throw lawn clippings etc
into it. I planted lots of daffodils right into the turf walls and it makes
a great display in the spring. One day I may even see if the compost is any
good but we rent that house out now and the garden has gone back to lawn :-(

Good if you have a spare out of the way spot in the garden.

Andrew

Old 07-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Jason Pope

Rhona Emmott wrote:
[...]

Stack it with grass sides adjacent to each other.
At least that's what Monty Don saidt he other day!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sort=3&rows=50

Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Andrew
Glass writes

A couple of years back after digging a couple of vegetable beds I had loads
of turf as well. Stacked it in a box shape around 8ft by 6ft by 4ft high.

Coincidence is amazing isn't it.
We had unexpected visitors yesterday and the question of what to do with
grass you dig up came up.
This man's father used to use this technique:
1. dig up the sods but in 'brick', rather than 'roofing
slate' shapes.
2. build a sort of igloo shape with the sods but with
grass covered side pointing towards the inside of
the igloo.
3. as you build, pack the centre with bits of paper
and fire wood.
4. make a little entrance at the base and a little
hole in the roof.
5. set fire to the bits of paper and wood.
6. wait for a few days while the paper and wood slowly
smoulder.
7. at the end of the few days, the whole structure will implode
leaving behind a pile of beautiful, friable soil.

I have never tried it but am going to next time we dig up some grass )

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,
put jandg dot demon dot co dot uk where you see deadspam.com

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
big pond - big problem Sky-Catcher Ponds 4 28-06-2007 03:23 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM