Old 07-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Ada Ma

Default Growing Habanero - how long do I have to wait?

Hi,

I am going to grow Habanero and Scotch Bonnet from seeds. How long
will I have to wait before I get my first Habanero?

(Assuming I am taking v gd care of them and feed them well and give
them warmth and light and etc.)

Many thanks.

Ada
Old 07-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Colin Malsingh

On 7 Sep 2003 12:02:48 -0700, (Ada Ma) wrote:

I am going to grow Habanero and Scotch Bonnet from seeds. How long
will I have to wait before I get my first Habanero?

I would sow the seeds indoors in February and if possible, grow the
plants indoors (window sills are fine) or at least in a greenhouse.
Chillis can often grow "ok'ish" outside in the UK, but they respond
much better when given a little extra warmth and protection from our
Spring conditions.

Don't worry if they take a while to germinate, but if it takes longer
than 3 weeks, start another batch of seeds just in case.

Alternatively, you can get seedling plants delivered to you, already
started by expert growers. I have used Simpsons Seeds for several
years with great success (get details from
http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk - it's best to ring or write to them as
they don't do orders online or respond quickly to emails, but it's
worth requesting their catalogue anyway).

I have grown their Scotch Bonnets before and they have a wide range of
other chillis, as well as unusual tomatoes etc. An interesting one of
their chillis that I tried this year is called Trinidad Non-Bell
peppers. These have an amazing aroma and a medium strength heat - more
flavour than fire but a good mixture.

Good luck

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 08-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Ada Ma

Many thanks for your answers!!