Old 08-09-2003, 07:03 PM
GoldDustRhiannon

Default Orange buddleia?

The house I'm moving to has what looks like an orange flowered buddleia; can
this be? I thought they were always purple or white?

Thanks
Lorraine
Old 08-09-2003, 07:34 PM
bnd777

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
The house I'm moving to has what looks like an orange flowered buddleia;

can
this be? I thought they were always purple or white?

Thanks
Lorraine

No there is a buddlea that has round orange flowers about now .......i have
one but will have to check its name in daylight

Old 08-09-2003, 08:02 PM
JennyC

"bnd777" wrote in message

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
The house I'm moving to has what looks like an orange flowered

buddleia;
can
this be? I thought they were always purple or white?

Thanks
Lorraine

No there is a buddlea that has round orange flowers about now

........i have
one but will have to check its name in daylight

Buddleia ×weyeriana ‘Honeycomb’ :
http://www.nobleplants.com/introductions/buddleia.htm

Jenny

Old 08-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Jim W

GoldDustRhiannon wrote:

The house I'm moving to has what looks like an orange flowered buddleia; can
this be? I thought they were always purple or white?

Thanks
Lorraine

If its flowers are spherical and orange or yellow then its a B. globosa
cultivar . 'Orange Ball' and 'Lemon Ball' (what a surprise) They should
be pruned after flowering in summer. NOT first thing in spring.
If orange with pink and purple and halfway between 'normal' spires and
speherical then its x weyeranii.

If its plain spires and anything between white to deep mauve (eg
white/pink/red blueish etc) then its likly to be a B. davidii

If its not one of them and its outside it could be one of the more
exotic ones;-)

If you're near N London in the summer check out the Buddlia collection
at the Beale Arboretum.. Nice;-)
/
//
Jim
Old 08-09-2003, 09:09 PM
David Hill

"....... The house I'm moving to has what looks like an orange flowered
buddleia; can this be? ........"

You probably have Buddleia Glabosa
http://members.lycos.co.uk/tmg/garden/Buddl_G.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Kay Easton

In article 1g0zhwm.m1utbgv1d824N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net
, Jim W writes
GoldDustRhiannon wrote:

If its flowers are spherical and orange or yellow then its a B. globosa
cultivar . 'Orange Ball' and 'Lemon Ball' (what a surprise)

or just the species.

They should
be pruned after flowering in summer.

Mine is still flowering!

What is the rationale about buddleia pruning? I usually work on the rule
of thumb of pruning anything just after it's flowered, with the
exception that where that would make that late autumn, it's probably
better to prune in spring because autumn pruning may stimulate young
growth which will be knocked back by frost.

So why can't I prune my B davidii now?

Especially since they are all over, whereas my B globosa is still
producing flowers.

And then there's that other one -B alternifolia???? long arching stems
of tiny leaves with small groups of flowers all along, flowering much
earlier. What does that flower on? New or old wood?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes

So why can't I prune my B davidii now?

I always cut my davidii back a bit now because I don't want it seeding
everywhere - then I give it its proper pruning in spring. It flowers on
'this year's' growth so you want as much growth 'this year' as you can
get to you prune it in the spring!!

Alternifolia you cut back branches bearing faded blooms immediately
after flowering.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Michael Berridge

Jim W wrote in message

If its flowers are spherical and orange or yellow then its a B. globosa
cultivar . 'Orange Ball' and 'Lemon Ball' (what a surprise) They should
be pruned after flowering in summer. NOT first thing in spring.
If orange with pink and purple and halfway between 'normal' spires and
speherical then its x weyeranii.

If its plain spires and anything between white to deep mauve (eg
white/pink/red blueish etc) then its likly to be a B. davidii

Mine flowers until the frosts, it's still in flower now, and plenty more
to come. I prune it hard in Spring, never done it any harm.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

So why can't I prune my B davidii now?

I always cut my davidii back a bit now because I don't want it seeding
everywhere - then I give it its proper pruning in spring. It flowers on
'this year's' growth so you want as much growth 'this year' as you can
get to you prune it in the spring!!

So why can't you get even more 'this year's' growth by pruning it in the
autumn? Plants don't necessarily start their year on 1 Jan.

Alternifolia you cut back branches bearing faded blooms immediately
after flowering.

So that flowers on new wood too?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

Old 09-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Peter Goddard

I cut off the flower spikes before they drop seed and then prune hard in
spring. Globosa is pruned after flowering but NOT in spring.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Peter Goddard
writes
I cut off the flower spikes before they drop seed and then prune hard in
spring. Globosa is pruned after flowering but NOT in spring.

But why not in spring? Do you lose the flowers if you prune in spring?

When does globosa start flowering?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Orange poppy - orange-poppy.jpg Ann Garden Photos 1 04-08-2007 04:36 PM
Lane Late navel orange, is a late maturing bud sport of Washington navel orange. [email protected] Gardening 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM
Osage-orange versus Osage orange David Hershey Plant Science 0 10-12-2003 07:02 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM