Old 10-09-2003, 07:12 PM
PK

Default What wasps?

Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

pk

--

************************************************** ************************
All outgoing messages scanned for viruses by Norton Antivirus

Old 10-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Matt

"PK" wrote in message

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

pk

I have noticed the same, though interestingly we and many others around here
(Norfolk) had early in the year problems with lots of emerging queens and
new nests. Three being formed in my workshop so for the first time ever I
resorted to chemical measures :-(

I think maybe the cold spell we had (was it around June? I have a terrible
memory) and then the very hotspell had something to do with the decline.

Matt

---

Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"PK" wrote in message
Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete

as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

There were practically none here in our part of the world. North Yorks
Dales.

Franz

Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Saffy

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"PK" wrote in message
Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as

every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete

as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

There were practically none here in our part of the world. North Yorks
Dales.

Franz

Well I live in Ayrshire and we have loads of them - couldn't even let the
kids eat their lunch in the garden this summer. My toddler even got stung
by one whilst sitting in our living room.

Saffy.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Malcolm

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:07:59 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

Interesting point now you mention it. Here in South London I have seen
very few in the gardens, but there seems to be a marked rise in the
little hornet thingies, not too great though.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:05 PM
trevor.appleton

We have been absolutely inundated with them. One of the wordst years ever.

trevor
East Yorkshire

Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"PK" wrote in message
Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete

as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

There were practically none here in our part of the world. North Yorks
Dales.

I have seen very few indeed. Cambridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Stuart Forbes

The Scottish Highlands are crawling with them this year. The dreaded
highland midge is a lot worse this year as well, worst I've ever seen.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Nic O'Demus

"PK" wrote in message
Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete

as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

pk

Plenty of the little darlings around this neck of the woods.
Hopefully, they'll buzz off soon.

Nic
Berkshire.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Mary Fisher

There were practically none here in our part of the world. North Yorks
Dales.

We've had our normal population here in our part of Leeds. Today they were
very active round the fucshia blossom - which is one of the best sources of
nectar of course. It's what they need at this time of year.

Mary

Franz

Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 PM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

Seeing a couple of wasps threads here brought the little buggers / cute
creatures (delete as appropriate) to mind.

Normally at this time of the year no reminder would be necessary as every
BBQ/Picnic/walking the countryside would be blighted/accompanied (delete as
appropriate) by a buzzing yellow and black presence.

This year however, scarcely a wasp have I (or any of the family) seen.

Is it just me?

A goodly number down here in North Hampshire - in fact I'd say
slightly more than expected at home, given the dearth of a decent plum
crop this year.
Mind you, the apples are dropping now, and the berries are 'giving it
large' this year.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 11-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Michael Berridge

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

There were practically none here in our part of the world. North Yorks
Dales.

Very few here in Lincolnshire, and my plum crop has not been touched.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM