Old 17-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Peter Goddard

Default pressure treated timber and raised beds

| Any idea if this is likely to be lethal to small animals if they

actually
| eat some of the treated wood?

I found the following on the back of a receipt for treated timber:
1. Do not use for fuel in barbecues, stoves or grates
2. Do not use sawdust or chippings for animal litter or bedding
3. Small quantities (less than 500kg) may be disposed of by burning in the
open, away from inhabited buildings. Do not inhale fumes. Ash must be buried
or disposed of by competent waste operative.

HTH

Old 18-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Ron

"Peter Goddard" included this manufacturer's
notice

1. Do not use for fuel in barbecues, stoves or grates
2. Do not use sawdust or chippings for animal litter or bedding
3. Small quantities (less than 500kg) may be disposed of by burning in the
open, away from inhabited buildings. Do not inhale fumes. Ash must be

buried
or disposed of by competent waste operative.

Small quantity of 500kg - by jingo!

What one must remember these days is legal liability; so if there's a 1 in a
googol's chance of something untoward happening, the manufacturer may be
found liable and subject to crippling damages. Manufacturers cover every
eventuality they can think of.

In America someone's aluminum (US spelling!) ladder touched an overhead
power and gave him a hefty belt. The maker of the ladder was sued and
because he had not warned against such a possibility was found liable! I
arsk yer!

Ron

Old 18-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

"Peter Goddard" wrote in
:

| Any idea if this is likely to be lethal to small animals if they

actually
| eat some of the treated wood?

I found the following on the back of a receipt for treated timber:
1. Do not use for fuel in barbecues, stoves or grates
2. Do not use sawdust or chippings for animal litter or bedding
3. Small quantities (less than 500kg) may be disposed of by burning in
the open, away from inhabited buildings. Do not inhale fumes. Ash must
be buried or disposed of by competent waste operative.

Hmm. Looks like I am stuck with doing an annual re-coat with my current
ineffective but animal-friendly preservative.

Victoria
Old 18-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Ron" contains these words:

In America someone's aluminum (US spelling!) ladder touched an overhead
power and gave him a hefty belt. The maker of the ladder was sued and
because he had not warned against such a possibility was found liable! I
arsk yer!

Sad to say, but aluminum was the original spelling.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.