Old 18-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield, UK
Question Cherry Tree roots

Hi, I'm a newbie to this site, so hi to everyone !

We've moved to a house where the garden has been left to it's own devices for years so we have an excellent (???) opportunity to redesign it from scratch.

At the moment, there is a Cherry Tree in place, but we are worried that the roots will crack and lift the small stone wall we wish to build.

Can anyone please advise if there is a way to contain the roots, so that they will not spread any further ? Does keeping the branches well trimmed force all the growth back to the branches, rather than the roots ?

Any advice would be great - Thanks.
Old 18-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Ophelia

Default Cherry Tree roots

"UKCat" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi, I'm a newbie to this site, so hi to everyone !

Hi Allie and welcome You will get loads of expert advice here)

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 18-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Tumbleweed

"UKCat" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi, I'm a newbie to this site, so hi to everyone !

We've moved to a house where the garden has been left to it's own
devices for years so we have an excellent (???) opportunity to redesign
it from scratch.

At the moment, there is a Cherry Tree in place, but we are worried that
the roots will crack and lift the small stone wall we wish to build.

Can anyone please advise if there is a way to contain the roots, so
that they will not spread any further ? Does keeping the branches well
trimmed force all the growth back to the branches, rather than the
roots ?

Should that say "Does keeping the _roots_ well trimmed force all the growth
back to the branches, rather than the roots ?"

If it should say that, then No; if it did, then root pruning bonsai trees
would give you 6ft tall bonsai!!
Trees need the roots to gather water and nutrients. If you prune its roots
(difficult to do if its in the ground) you will restrict its growth. If you
prune the branches, then in my experience, you'll kill it!(maybe I was
unlucky with my cherry tree?)

How about putting some paving slabs or similar on edge against the
foundations of the wall, or the wall itself if its the sort that is used to
retain soil?

WggggggggggggqqT
WS
gggggggggggggWS
WS

or

W T
gggggggggggggWgggggggggggggT
WS

where g=ground, W=stone wall, S=slab, T+Tree

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 18-09-2003, 07:22 PM
DaveDay34

Can anyone please advise if there is a way to contain the roots, so
that they will not spread any further ? Does keeping the branches well
trimmed force all the growth back to the branches, rather than the
roots ?

Pruning a tree will in general prevent the tree from sending out quite so many
roots, though the success of this is limited. As for containing the roots,
forget it. Slabs will not contain the roots of a cherry tree enough to
guarantee that no roots will cause damage. Also be aware that any drains that
may run through your garden may be subject to 'attack' by roots of cherry
trees.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Old 18-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from UKCat contains these words:

At the moment, there is a Cherry Tree in place, but we are worried that
the roots will crack and lift the small stone wall we wish to build.

How big is the tree, is it fruiting or ornamental, and how far away is
the wall?

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.

Old 19-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield, UK

[[quote]How big is the tree, is it fruiting or ornamental, and how far away is
the wall?

The tree is approx 12 feet tall and is a fruiting cherry (the blackbirds got them all this year though !)

The planned wall will be 5 foot from the base of the tree.
Old 19-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"UKCat" wrote in message
s.com...
[ How big is the tree, is it fruiting or ornamental, and how far away
is
the wall?

The tree is approx 12 feet tall and is a fruiting cherry (the
blackbirds got them all this year though !)

The planned wall will be 5 foot from the base of the tree.

When you say 'this year' you make it sound like they dont usually! IME
actually harvesting cherries before the birds is close to a miracle.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)