Old 22-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Niall Smyth

Default Bulbs in Pebble Mulch

Hi all

(The questions are coming thick and fast now!
I must think its spring!!)

I want to plant some spring floewring bulbs
(fritallaria melegris (snakes head) and
those black/purple tulips)
in a large raised bed that has beach pebble mulch
(pebbles are big enough 15-30mm, two inches deep)

Will they make it through?
I dont want to take off the pebble as
it is a feature around the garden and will
look odd if it is missing a patch.

Many thanks

Niall

---

Old 22-09-2003, 05:42 PM
JennyC

"Niall Smyth" wrote
Hi all

(The questions are coming thick and fast now!
I must think its spring!!)

I want to plant some spring floewring bulbs
(fritallaria melegris (snakes head) and
those black/purple tulips)
in a large raised bed that has beach pebble mulch
(pebbles are big enough 15-30mm, two inches deep)

Will they make it through?
I dont want to take off the pebble as
it is a feature around the garden and will
look odd if it is missing a patch.

Many thanks Niall

Won't be a problem. They will easily push thru :~)
Jenny

Old 23-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Michael Berridge

Niall Smyth wrote in message ...
Hi all

(The questions are coming thick and fast now!
I must think its spring!!)

I want to plant some spring floewring bulbs
(fritallaria melegris (snakes head) and
those black/purple tulips)
in a large raised bed that has beach pebble mulch
(pebbles are big enough 15-30mm, two inches deep)

Will they make it through?
I dont want to take off the pebble as
it is a feature around the garden and will
look odd if it is missing a patch.

Basic answer is yes, they will. They will force their way through most
tings, even the fritillaria.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 23-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Rod

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message ...
Hi all

(The questions are coming thick and fast now!
I must think its spring!!)

I want to plant some spring floewring bulbs
(fritallaria melegris (snakes head) and
those black/purple tulips)
in a large raised bed that has beach pebble mulch
(pebbles are big enough 15-30mm, two inches deep)

Will they make it through?
I dont want to take off the pebble as
it is a feature around the garden and will
look odd if it is missing a patch.

Many thanks

Niall

As others have said, no problem. Just a bit concerned about Fritillaria meleagris is a raised bed though - it's a
water meadow and damp pasture plant so it could be a bit too dry for them to do really well. Consider some other
Frits though, there are several that will lap up those conditions.

Rod

Old 24-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Niall Smyth

Hi all

Thanks for the info

Rod,
I will have a look at changing the frits
I have never grown them before
(I just fancied the purple-pink with the purple tulips)

Regards

Niall