Old 23-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Cats!

In this mornings Daily Mail a lady claims to have the ultimate deterrent for
cats.

She sprays WD40 around the garden on bricks, walls and other hard surfaces,
at regular intervals and claims that this keeps the cats away.

Alan

Old 23-09-2003, 07:42 PM
MCC

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:26:46 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

In this mornings Daily Mail a lady claims to have the ultimate deterrent for
cats.

She sprays WD40 around the garden on bricks, walls and other hard surfaces,
at regular intervals and claims that this keeps the cats away.

My wife has just smeared petroleum jelly all along the top of our boundary
wall. Probably has the same effect. The muddy paw and claw marks down the
wall are like something out of a "Tom and Jerry" cartoon :-))
--
MCC
Old 23-09-2003, 08:42 PM
DaveDay34

In this mornings Daily Mail a lady claims to have the ultimate deterrent for
cats.

She sprays WD40 around the garden on bricks, walls and other hard surfaces,
at regular intervals and claims that this keeps the cats away.

My wife has just smeared petroleum jelly all along the top of our boundary
wall. Probably has the same effect. The muddy paw and claw marks down the
wall are like something out of a "Tom and Jerry" cartoon :-))
--
MCC

So, is this a deterrant, or is it just a lubricant that makes it difficult for
cats to walk along the tops of narrow surfaces such as fences?

Dave.
Old 23-09-2003, 09:23 PM
DaveDay34

She sprays WD40 around the garden on bricks, walls and other hard
surfaces,
at regular intervals and claims that this keeps the cats away.

My wife has just smeared petroleum jelly all along the top of our boundary
wall. Probably has the same effect. The muddy paw and claw marks down the
wall are like something out of a "Tom and Jerry" cartoon :-))
--
MCC

So, is this a deterrant, or is it just a lubricant that makes it difficult

for
cats to walk along the tops of narrow surfaces such as fences?

In the first instance it is just a lubricant that makes it difficult for the
b****rs to get a grip, but having fallen off once or twice, I doubt they'll
want to come back too often, so it is ultimately a deterrent as well :-)

--
MCC

There are just two problems with this. Firstly it's no good if it's just a
lumbicant if you have nothing such as a fence to spray it onto, and secondly,
if the cats don't fall off, from what you've said, they won't be deterred,
which is exactly why I asked the question.

Dave.

Old 23-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

In this mornings Daily Mail a lady claims to have the ultimate deterrent

for
cats.

She sprays WD40 around the garden on bricks, walls and other hard

surfaces,
at regular intervals and claims that this keeps the cats away.

I'm an ignoramus. What is WD40?

Franz

Old 24-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I'm an ignoramus. What is WD40?

Spray-on penetrating/easing oil.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 24-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I'm an ignoramus. What is WD40?

Spray-on penetrating/easing oil.

What an incredibly stupid thing to go and spray around in the garden!

Franz

Old 24-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Andy

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:21:46 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

snip headers

from "Franz Heymann"

I'm an ignoramus. What is WD40?

Spray-on penetrating/easing oil.

It also has extreme water resistant properties as it's usually used to
repel water from car ignition systems. The can says it's made from
petroleum distillates and contains no silicone or CFC's.

I one sprayed a two stroke engine with it. I started the engine then
threw a bucket of water over it. The engine cut out as the water
flooded it, then restarted at the same time as the water hit the
floor.

What an incredibly stupid thing to go and spray around in the garden!

Franz

It probably wouldn't do your plants any good. I wonder what it does
to slugs?

Andy

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 24-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I'm an ignoramus. What is WD40?

Spray-on penetrating/easing oil.

What an incredibly stupid thing to go and spray around in the garden!

Anything to ease the burden of the work.....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 24-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Andy contains these words:

(WD40)

It probably wouldn't do your plants any good. I wonder what it does
to slugs?

Probably penetrates them and eases them into the next world.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 24-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Martin Sykes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

In this mornings Daily Mail a lady claims to have the ultimate deterrent

for
cats.

She sprays WD40 around the garden on bricks, walls and other hard

surfaces,
at regular intervals and claims that this keeps the cats away.

Alan

Hmm. What do you think really scares the cats? The WD40 or the mad woman
wandering round her garden spraying it at anything that moves?

I've heard that cats won't defacate on their own territory. Does this mean
that if I feed all the cats and am nice to them that they'll see my garden
as part of their territory and cr*p elsewhere?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 07:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM