Old 25-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Instep

Default Hookeri

Can someone tell me what a "Hookeri" is?

Ann

Old 25-09-2003, 08:52 PM
MCC

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:33:58 +0100, "Instep"
wrote:

Can someone tell me what a "Hookeri" is?

Is this what you are thinking of?
Brodiaea coronaria syn. Hookera coronaria
USA Height up to 18 in, planting distance 3-4 in. Starry, blue purple
flowers 1½ in wide, are borne in loose clusters of three to seven in May and
June.
Brodiaea is a genus of 40 species of cormous and bulbous plants. They come
from N. and S. America where they inhabit regions of hot dry summers and
wet, frost-free winters.

--
MCC
Old 25-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Andy

wrote:

Can someone tell me what a "Hookeri" is?

Ann

Try this!

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...TF-8&q=hookeri

Andy

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 25-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Can someone tell me what a "Hookeri" is?

Surely hookeri is part of the name of a plant named for Joseph Hooker,
a plant hunter and something to do with Kew?
Like Williamsii, Douglasii or Leylandii.
Hookeri is not a plant in itself is it?

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Instep
writes
Can someone tell me what a "Hookeri" is?

Asking what a Hookeri is is like asking what a Japonica is, except that
Japonica does have some currency for Cydonia japonica.

There were two leading 19th Century botanists, father and son, named
Hooker, and lots of plant species were named in honour of them.
Consequently there's several hundred species named somethingorother
hookeri. See URL following.

URL:http://www.ipni.org/ipni/IpniServlet...ly=&infrafamil
y=&genus=&infragenus=&is_apni_record=on&species=ho okeri&infraspecies=&is
_gci_record=on&author_abbrev=&publication_title=&i s_ik_record=on&show_ra
nk=all&include_authors=on&include_basionym_authors =on&query_type=by_quer

(Plus a few more named hookeriana or hookerianum.)

Then again, Hookeri could be a reference to Hookera (a synonym of
Brodiaea), Hookerara (an intrageneric orchid hybrid), Hookerella (a
synomym of Loranthus, which I my memory serves me correctly is a
mistletoe) or Hookerina (a synonym of Hydrothrix, whatever than might
be).

More context required.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley