Old 25-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Roger The Rabbit

Default Hummingbird Hawkmoth

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/...ountryside.asp

In case anyone's interested, I had the good fortune to see one of these the
other days - acting completely like a Hummingbird! It had me fooled for a
while - it looks a lot more like one in real life, even down to the way it
flies!

Old 27-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Pen Phill

Subject: Hummingbird Hawkmoth
From: "Roger The Rabbit"
Date: 25/09/03 22:00 Romance Daylight Time

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/...mingbirds_rife

_in_our_countryside.asp

In case anyone's interested, I had the good fortune to see one of these the
other days - acting completely like a Hummingbird! It had me fooled for a
while - it looks a lot more like one in real life, even down to the way it
flies!

Hi
Over here in Brittany it has been a particularly good year for Hummingbird
Hawkmoths and there have been literally dozens in my garden, darting about and
visiting almost every blossom. (As I had won the local "Maison Fleurie"
competition I suppose they had come in for a look,) However only a few days ago
I saw a couple of absolute whoppers out at night. Each was about 3-4 inches
long (not counting the proboscis) and with a comparable wingspan and each
seemed to have a striped black and white abdomen. As I could only see them by
my outside light and have never seen such large ones during the day I suppose
these will have a nocternal variety og the Giant hummingbird Hawkmoth. Quite
impressive.
Phil

Old 27-09-2003, 08:22 PM
John Cotterill

Spotted one here yesterday around 1715BST it was generally cloudy at the
time but felt warm. The first time I'd seen one, it was feeding on the
plants in my hanging baskets and I was able to get within a few feet of it
before it darted away over to next doors garden. It had very impressive
markings and was very colourful about 3" long body wise with a proboscis
some further 4" or so in length.

John

Leicestershire

Roger The Rabbit wrote in message
.. .

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/...gbirds_rife_in
_our_countryside.asp

Old 27-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Pen Phill" wrote in message

Hi
Over here in Brittany it has been a particularly good year for

Hummingbird
Hawkmoths and there have been literally dozens in my garden, darting

about and
visiting almost every blossom.

snip
Phil

Here in Basse Normandie the best year ever for them. Literally dozens
and still busy.

Iris McCanna