Old 28-09-2003, 09:42 AM
DLee

Default Bulbs under leylandii

Hi All

I am thinking of planting bulbs (dialia - spell might be wrong?) just about
1.5 ft in front of leylandii stems all along the hedge line. Leylandiis are
young 4 ft tall and thin stemed just now. Does this sound ok or bad idea??

Thanks
Dan

Old 28-09-2003, 01:12 PM
bnd777

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi All

I am thinking of planting bulbs (dialia - spell might be wrong?) just

about
1.5 ft in front of leylandii stems all along the hedge line. Leylandiis

are
young 4 ft tall and thin stemed just now. Does this sound ok or bad idea??

Thanks
Dan

Extremely bad idea ..........bulbs need moisture and Leylandi will strip

every ounce of moisture and nutrients from the soil

Old 28-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
DLee wrote:

I am thinking of planting bulbs (dialia - spell might be wrong?) just about
1.5 ft in front of leylandii stems all along the hedge line. Leylandiis are
young 4 ft tall and thin stemed just now. Does this sound ok or bad idea??

It depends how well trimmed the leylandii will be. If they make that
area very dry, it is a bad idea; if they allow rain to fall there,
then that is fine. I recommend growing Cyclamen coum (and perhaps
other species) a bit closer in, because they like the dryness.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Michael Berridge

DLee wrote in message
Hi All

I am thinking of planting bulbs (dialia - spell might be wrong?) just

about
1.5 ft in front of leylandii stems all along the hedge line.

Leylandiis are
young 4 ft tall and thin stemed just now. Does this sound ok or bad

idea??

Thanks
Dan

Given the general opinions in this NG to leylandii hedges, and their
potential problems. A lot of people would say the the hedge is 3' 11"
too high already. It will cause a very dry and shaded area, and, unless
well looked after, and kept well in trim, will cause problems later.
Perhaps not while you are at the house, but if you move, and the new
owners do not realise the problems leylandii can cause, then in the
future.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk