Old 05-10-2003, 01:32 PM
DLee

Default Monty Don and his spade

Yeah - £ 100 for a spade is a bit too much for me to digest - Can you use it
as a driver for golf? I paid £ 80 for the Great Big Bertha No. 1 driver
recently, and thought that was bit expensive, and this was a second hand
golf club from local paper.

Dan

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Franz wrote in message
"Bob wrote in message
[snip]

Well a few years ago Sue and friends bought me the Bulldog stainless

steel
spade and matching fork for Christmas, it cost them £100 for each I
understand, and they were a special order.
When I thought I had lost the fork a couple of years ago I enquired

about
replacement and found out that Bulldog no longer make these British

made
tools as they were too expensive for the market even though they

are,
simply, the best. Shame.

What is it which makes a £100 spade any better than my spade which I

bought
for £5?

Quality, workmanship, materials, ease of using, pleasure of
using............

To me your question is rather like saying, why is a "S" Class any better
than a Trabant?

What a pile of codswallop!
My neighbour fell for the idea of a £100 spade. I have a cheapo, about 40
years old. We swapped spades for trials. Both say there is nothing in

it,
except that his looks like a £100 spade and mine looks like a well-used
common or garden spade.

Franz

Old 05-10-2003, 02:02 PM
martin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:25:02 +0100, "DLee"
wrote:

Yeah - £ 100 for a spade is a bit too much for me to digest - Can you use it
as a driver for golf? I paid £ 80 for the Great Big Bertha No. 1 driver
recently, and thought that was bit expensive, and this was a second hand
golf club from local paper.

Is it good for lifting turf?
--
Martin
Old 05-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by martin
wrote:

Yeah - £ 100 for a spade is a bit too much for me to digest - Can you use it
as a driver for golf? I paid £ 80 for the Great Big Bertha No. 1 driver
recently, and thought that was bit expensive, and this was a second hand
golf club from local paper.

Is it good for lifting turf?
--
Martin

Its alright for some.!!!

I am a single mum first time gardener
I get my garden tools from the car boots
most of which are great
except my spade
i was digging up the post from the washing line with a ball of concrete at the bottom ( half a ton) and a quarter of the spade snapped off. it still works , but leaves odd shaped holes,
so i will keep using it until the rest falls off.

The idea of spending 100 pound on a spade is laughable.
If it works it doesn't matter how much you pay, if you can dig a hole its alright

Anita X
Old 06-10-2003, 10:12 AM
martin

wrote:

Yeah - £ 100 for a spade is a bit too much for me to digest - Can

you use it
as a driver for golf? I paid £ 80 for the Great Big Bertha No. 1

driver
recently, and thought that was bit expensive, and this was a second

hand
golf club from local paper.

Is it good for lifting turf?
--
Martin *

Its alright for some.!!!

I am a single mum first time gardener
I get my garden tools from the car boots

Us too, we have to travel to the UK for them :-)

We bought a beautiful almost unused Wilkinson Sword ( not double
edged) stainless steel lawn trimming tool for next to nowt two weeks
ago.

In general car boot sale garden tools are often better than the new
stuff on offer in shops.
--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from martin contains these words:

In general car boot sale garden tools are often better than the new
stuff on offer in shops.

According to the police theft from garden sheds is rising, and car
boot sales are where thieves often turn the stolen goods into cash.

Janet.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:12 PM
martin

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:43:37 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

In general car boot sale garden tools are often better than the new
stuff on offer in shops.

According to the police theft from garden sheds is rising, and car
boot sales are where thieves often turn the stolen goods into cash.

ditto boat jumbles.

but not all stuff sold is stolen.

--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

In general car boot sale garden tools are often better than the new
stuff on offer in shops.

According to the police theft from garden sheds is rising, and car
boot sales are where thieves often turn the stolen goods into cash.

ditto boat jumbles.

Never been to a boat jumble, is that a Dutch thing?
Janet

Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "DLee" contains these words:

Hi All

I was reading his garden book, and in it, he says that his favorite spade is
one made of stainless steel forged from a company called Bulldog. He paid £
90 for it in late 80s, and it is perfectly balanced and feel right, so he
uses it all the time although he has 6 or 7 spades. He thinks that this £ 90
spade was worth every penny.

Would you pay £ 90 for a spade? I paid £ 20 for a Wilkinson Sword spade this
weekend at B&Q, and felt that was too expensive for spade. Is it the case of
BBC paying him much, or like other things in life, you get what you pay for?

cheers

Dan

Stainless steel spade for £6.99 from dear old Wilcos. Probably the best
spade I`ve ever held. Comfortable handle, sharp blade. Lovely piece of
equipment. Time will tell with it of course.

Neighbour just broke his brand new Bulldog spade which was cast rather
than stainless steel. The blade just snapped.

I can buy a lot of Wilcos £6.99 spades for £90.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 07-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Will Cooke

"WasTa" wrote in message ...

I would like to know where I could get a spade/fork (also a border fork) to
suit a 6ft 5 ins chap?

My Gardeners World magazine turned up yesterday and either in the "Readers Offers"
section, or the subsribers pull-out (or rather fall out) bit there was a
telescopic fork and spade - I've know idea if they're any good.
Let me know if you want more info.

Cheers,

Will
Old 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM
martin

wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

In general car boot sale garden tools are often better than the new
stuff on offer in shops.

According to the police theft from garden sheds is rising, and car
boot sales are where thieves often turn the stolen goods into cash.

ditto boat jumbles.

Never been to a boat jumble, is that a Dutch thing?

not particularly, it's a rather English thing, although there are a
few in NL. See www.boatjumbleassociation.co.uk/

I must admit that the biggest bargains I have ever bought were from
the Naarden boat jumble.
I suspect lots of things fall out of containers in the Europort,
especially Irish Dubarry boat shoes and Henri Lloyd and Helly Hansen
yachting gear.

The biggest one in the UK is the Easter Boat Jumble at Beaulieu.
I have been to the Chatham Boat Jumble several times, the police used
to give it the once over before the punters were allowed in.
--
Martin