Old 13-07-2003, 10:08 AM
JennyC

Default Monty Don

It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over !!

A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

Jenny

Old 13-07-2003, 10:08 AM
martin

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:55:59 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over !!

A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

I have several pairs of baggy old trousers :-)
--
martin
Old 13-07-2003, 10:20 AM
janet.bennett

Yes, but do you look at good as him in them??
Photo please for the ladies

Old 13-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"JennyC" wrote in message
It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over

!!

A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

Jenny

Jenny,

How I agree with you. It's a not-to-be-missed programme again.
What a lovely warm personality he has. Not self-aware at all.
He has Geoff's "hands-on" approach to gardening. Really superb.

Iris (McCanna)

Old 13-07-2003, 10:50 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, JennyC wrote:

It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over !!
A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

Interesting how the attitude towards Monty has changed. When he started
doing gardening programmes on Channel 4 the general attitude was, "What
does *he* know about gardening?" and people were more than a little
scathing.

Not having watched GW since Monty took over can I ask whether he has
matured in the role of a gardening presenter or was he good in the first
place? (I did watch one or two of his Channel 4 programmes. I thought
they were good if a little simplistic - but perhaps that's what Channel
4 engaged him for.)

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 13-07-2003, 10:50 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Barry & Iris McCanna wrote:

It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over

!!
A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

How I agree with you. It's a not-to-be-missed programme again.
What a lovely warm personality he has. Not self-aware at all.
He has Geoff's "hands-on" approach to gardening. Really superb.

Iris, can I ask how you receive BBC programmes in Normandy? I would like
to be able to the same myself. Perhaps you get just the World Service on
satellite?

I have a setup in Britain where I can receive French domestic
transmissions. Wish I could do the same kind of thing in France!

Old 13-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"David Rance" wrote in message

Iris, can I ask how you receive BBC programmes in Normandy? I would

like
to be able to the same myself. Perhaps you get just the World

Service on
satellite?

I have a setup in Britain where I can receive French domestic
transmissions. Wish I could do the same kind of thing in France!

David,

We have a Sky digibox and receive all the free-to-air channels
including BBC1, 2, 3 and 4, Channel 4 and 5, ITV1, Sky News, etc.
Our local TV man aligned the dish and it is perfect. Many other
people here have the same setup. There is quite a scam here of
people being charged huge amounts for the set-up, but we were
recommended to use an excellent man in England, whose prices are very
good. If you'd me to give you his details, please mail off-group.

HTH
Regards
Iris

Old 13-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Jim W

David Rance wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, JennyC wrote:

It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over !!
A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

Interesting how the attitude towards Monty has changed. When he started
doing gardening programmes on Channel 4 the general attitude was, "What
does *he* know about gardening?" and people were more than a little
scathing.

Not having watched GW since Monty took over can I ask whether he has
matured in the role of a gardening presenter or was he good in the first
place? (I did watch one or two of his Channel 4 programmes. I thought
they were good if a little simplistic - but perhaps that's what Channel
4 engaged him for.)

I think you'll find that the original reviews were mixed... I like him,
he's knowledgeable, and comes over well despite his 'amateur' status
compared to some of the 'qualified' presenter.. I don't actually think
this matters either way.. I've met both very high level 'amatuers' and
crappy 'professionals', if you know what I mean!;-)
//
Jim
Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Mike Roscoe

Jenny, I also have a pair of very, very baggy trousers that I have kept for
gardening and the odd painting job. I think they are decidedly scruffy, but
my wife tells me that they are very fashionable and that all the young men
are wearing baggy trousers these days. That may be so, I'm over 60 and
I'm definitely not Monty Don.

Mike Roscoe
------------------------

Old 13-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Liz

JennyC wrote in message
It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over !!

A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

Jenny

Absolutely. You can see love of growing things and nature in there, which
I never got from Titchmarsh, plus Monty has opinions and prejudices, like
normal people. The nearest I ever saw Alan Titchmarsh get to being critical
was when he was snide about people growing Amaryllis. Don't get my dander
up.

Liz

Old 14-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Druss

Not sure if attitudes have changed, certainly not in my household, we've
always loved his style, he's so relaxed and laid back about it all. His C4
programmes were very different in style and content to the normal gardening
makeover types we mainly see these days.
The lost gardens one was great, he was enthusiastic, and informative, and
made you want to listen, a major plus in anyone on TV. His Fork to Fork
series is still one of the highlights of TV gardening if you ask me. It's
all organic, it follows veg from the seed packet to the table, i.e. they
even let you in on their cookery. I think they may have been the primary
target of the BBC2 comedy posh nosh, but im only speculating.
All in all it's the best move the BBC made since they hired Geoff Hamilton,
now if Monty could just be introduced to Bob Flowerdew, so he could have his
little spot back on GW, that'd be great.
Duncan

Old 15-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Helen

I have to agree that Monty Don is lovely - what a breath of fresh air.
I became an avid fan of his after reading an article he had written
about apple growing. It was knowledgable, passionate and sensitive. He
has a real instinctive feel for gardening. He also possesses a genial
and affable sense of humour. Anyone starting a Monty Don Fan Club
?????????? :-)

Old 15-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Helen

I have to agree that Monty Don is lovely - what a breath of fresh air.
I became an avid fan of his after reading an article he had written
about apple growing. It was knowledgable, passionate and sensitive. He
has a real instinctive feel for gardening. He also possesses a genial
and affable sense of humour. Anyone starting a Monty Don Fan Club

The Monty Don Project JennyC United Kingdom 6 29-11-2006 04:03 PM
Monty Don Padger United Kingdom 1 31-12-2005 03:58 PM
grr !! Monty Don perpetuating compost myths .... gentlegreen United Kingdom 42 14-10-2005 12:14 PM
Monty Don Weedeater United Kingdom 12 09-09-2004 09:22 AM
Monty Don and his spade DLee United Kingdom 29 07-10-2003 04:32 PM