Old 29-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Dicksonia Antarctica

I have a baby one.

(I hope: I've been hopeless at getting spores to grow, so this is from
someone who is better at it than me. I'm taking their word for it that they
haven't given me what I get, which is a bunch of garden ferns in every
dratted seedtray.

Except seed trays in which I've sown spores, which remain completely blank
and vacant of all life: it's like sowing weedkiller...)

It's just starting to get those nice russetty woolly bits at the bottom of
the leaf stalks and form a bit of a lump - so I'm starting to believe it
really is a dicksonia.

Examining this cheerful sign, I notice that the young plant appears to have
two crowns.

Is this actually 2 plants growing together, or could there be two crowns on
one plant?

And should I split them up, or leave them to get on with it?

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 29-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Natalie

It's just starting to get those nice russetty woolly bits at the bottom of
the leaf stalks and form a bit of a lump - so I'm starting to believe it
really is a dicksonia.

Examining this cheerful sign, I notice that the young plant appears to

have
two crowns.

Is this actually 2 plants growing together, or could there be two crowns

on
one plant?

And should I split them up, or leave them to get on with it?

I saw several Siamese twin tree ferns in Cornwall this summer ;-) I'd leave
them to it...separating is not always successful ;-(

Natalie

Old 30-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Victoria Clare

"Natalie" wrote in
:

I notice that the young plant appears to have
two crowns.

Is this actually 2 plants growing together, or could there be two
crowns on one plant?

And should I split them up, or leave them to get on with it?

I saw several Siamese twin tree ferns in Cornwall this summer ;-) I'd
leave them to it...separating is not always successful ;-(

Thanks: I shall let them both go on, in the hope that both are dicksonias,
and one day I shall have an amazing double-headed plant.

Victoria
Old 30-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Natalie

I saw several Siamese twin tree ferns in Cornwall this summer ;-) I'd
leave them to it...separating is not always successful ;-(

Thanks: I shall let them both go on, in the hope that both are dicksonias,
and one day I shall have an amazing double-headed plant.

Victoria

Wonder how long you'll have to wait until it grows to the size of the ones I
saw? I think one of them was at Trebah...check it out if you can ;-)

Natalie