Old 02-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Manganese deficiency (was Beans over?)

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Apparently, it's a problem with alkaline soil and beans. They can't get
Mn out of such a soil and a foliar spray of Mn is the only way. Anyone
know of a source of Mn for a spray? Or should I acidify the plot?

I would have thought that an impossibility. There is no acidic counterpart
to lime as far as I know.

When I was a anklebiter my father grew magnificent beans. He prepared
two trenches and filled them with good things: compost, hoof and horn,
bonemeal, dried blood etc, and grew beans on the same sites for many
years.

The ground there was quite alkaline, but I wouldn't think the trench
fillings were!

Since runner beans have few diseases or pests which attack them
seriously, you can grow them in the same spot until you need to enrich
the soil again.

I can't remember which one, but at least one fertiliser usable as a
foliar feed contains manganese. I used it on raspberries which were
similarly suffering.

I believe Baby Bio does - there may be a grown-up version.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 02-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I suppose you can make a very localised and temporary pH change like
that, but it would not take long to be neutralised if there is a nearly
infinite supply of limy minerals in the ground

I can't remember which one, but at least one fertiliser usable as a
foliar feed contains manganese. I used it on raspberries which were
similarly suffering.

I believe Baby Bio does - there may be a grown-up version.

Miracle Gro contains manganese. It can be used as a foliar feed or watered
into the soil.

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Increasing the pH of a soil is very much easier than decreasing it.

Except in a big scrapyard......

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 03-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Increasing the pH of a soil is very much easier than decreasing it.

Except in a big scrapyard......

You know something I don't. What is it in a scrapyard which is acidic.other
than old batteries?

Franz

Old 04-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message

Increasing the pH of a soil is very much easier than decreasing it.

Except in a big scrapyard......

You know something I don't. What is it in a scrapyard which is acidic.other
than old batteries?

Iron. The issue of "acidity" in soil is not what you would expect
from O-level chemistry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.