Old 02-10-2003, 03:12 PM
John Towill

Default Gardening programs and books on "dificult" gardens

Having read, well skimmed really, books on gardening, and indeed watched TV
programs, which profess to sort out difficult gardens, they seem to me to be
quite easy.
Off they go with a spade and elbow (or should that be knee) grease, a dollop
of mulch, lo and behold a garden in which they can plant.
My garden has no top soil and consists of what I believe is called gravel,
which is almost solid pebbles with the gaps filled in with sand and clay.
Digging means a pickaxe, then I am left with loose pebbles! Is the only
cure to import top soil? It takes an awful lot to cover even a reasonable
bed with a spit and a half, even then the pebbles wander up for fresh air.
Frustrated, North Staffs.
Cheers
John T

Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
JennyC

"John Towill" wrote in message
[...]

Inspiration might be found at Derek Jarmans Dungeness garden - its
totally pebbles :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/davidtrivett...den/Jarman.htm

Jenny :~)

Old 02-10-2003, 04:13 PM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:19:46 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

[...]

but he never grew carrots in it :-)
--
Martin
Old 02-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Dave Painter

[...]

Raised beds?
Saves all that digging...
try a google on square foot gardening aimed at vegetables but principles
apply to plants/flowers too.

Possible to organise yourself so that you build a bed.
Fill it with soil.
Start growing
Build another bed
Fill it
etc until you run out of garden/money/patience

Dave

Old 02-10-2003, 08:32 PM
David Hill

"........Possible to organise yourself so that you build a bed.
Fill it with soil. Start growing
Build another bed Fill it
etc until you run out of garden/money/patience ....."

Or just get large pots 18" or so, and grow bags (And the answer is Yes. you
can grow carrots in pots (just don't choose long rooted varieties).
Then after a year, make hollows on your Gravel/soil and empty pots/grow bags
in to give you growing media for Shrubs/herbaceous plants .......put in
smaller plants that will develop a root system to suit your ground.
Re fill pots and get more grow bags.
Over time you will build up the soil to something useful.
If you can get good manure etc then top dress the ground with this, let the
worms take it down for you.
If you have turfed an area for lawn, use the clippings as a mulch around the
plants you have planted into the ground.
Lastly if you are worried about your planting areas drying out to fast then
line the holes with newspaper before planting.
When I was young my Aunts had a very shallow chalky soil so the trench for
Runner beans was taken out in the Autumn, lined with newspaper, then all veg
waste was put into the trench till end of April, then the soil replaced on
top and the beans planted, they got a reasonable crop this way. The paper
slowed down the loss of water.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

Having read, well skimmed really, books on gardening, and indeed watched TV
programs, which profess to sort out difficult gardens, they seem to me to be
quite easy.
Off they go with a spade and elbow (or should that be knee) grease, a dollop
of mulch, lo and behold a garden in which they can plant.
My garden has no top soil and consists of what I believe is called gravel,
which is almost solid pebbles with the gaps filled in with sand and clay.
Digging means a pickaxe, then I am left with loose pebbles!

Have you read Beth Chatto's book about her gravel garden?

Is the only
cure to import top soil?

No. Just leave the pebbles where they are, don't dig, just keep
mulching, mulching, mulching with whatever organic material you can get
for free.I've seen that done on a raised beach, producing good veg the
first season and fantastic veg (including carrots!) flowers herbs and
fruit just a few years later. The mulches used were mostly seaweed and
bracken, plus a much smaller amount of home made compost and horse
manure.

Janet
Isle of Arran.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Dave Painter

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........Possible to organise yourself so that you build a bed.
Fill it with soil. Start growing
Build another bed Fill it
etc until you run out of garden/money/patience ....."

Or just get large pots 18" or so, and grow bags (And the answer is Yes.

you
can grow carrots in pots (just don't choose long rooted varieties).
Then after a year, make hollows on your Gravel/soil and empty pots/grow

bags
in to give you growing media for Shrubs/herbaceous plants .......put in
smaller plants that will develop a root system to suit your ground.
Re fill pots and get more grow bags.
Over time you will build up the soil to something useful.
If you can get good manure etc then top dress the ground with this, let

the
worms take it down for you.

This is very similar to the original square foot gardening theory, as used
in Texas panhandle type country.
Ground that was almost useless was built up, little by little.

As an aside, one of our allotment holders grows his carrots in an old oil
barrel.
Grows them in fine sand with a thin layer of soil on top.
Roots come out nearly three feet long for the annual show.

Dave

Old 03-10-2003, 01:02 PM
John Towill

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you one and all for your inspiring answers. The Jarman Garden looks
wonderful, if only I had the artistic talent to aspire to that. I will have
a look for Beth Chatto's gravel garden book.
I have placed some raised beds in, with some success, but hope to be less
constricted than that. all I need to do now is find a way to exclude the
damned rabbits!
Cheers
John T

Old 03-10-2003, 05:12 PM
David Hill

"......... all I need to do now is find a way to exclude the damned
rabbits! ............."

You can have my foxes if you like.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Jason Pope

David Hill wrote:
"......... all I need to do now is find a way to exclude the damned
rabbits! ............."

Try hiring Elmer Fudd?
Some of the anti-cat liquids also deter rabbits,........at least that's
what it says on the tin!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
David Hill wrote:
"......... all I need to do now is find a way to exclude the damned

Try hiring Elmer Fudd?
Some of the anti-cat liquids also deter rabbits,........at least that's
what it says on the tin!

Then they might serve some purpose after all. The one thing they don't do,
is excluding cats.

Franz