Old 08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Default peat

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaques d'Altrades
The message m
from Bry contains these words:

Quote (written in reference to peat being the first stages of coal
formation): Peat doesn't. Do you believe everyting you read on the
web?

Well, I'm not basing my entire belief that peat becomes coal on one web
site, it just happened to explain what I believe very well. I have also
been told the same thing by my science teacher, dozens of text books,
several TV productions, the people who mine coal, the environmental
groups who explain where coal came from...etc. Perhaps they're wrong,
but I'm hardly likely to believe you over them (the long standing well
formed idea) without some kind of theory as to where coal does actually
come from, if it's not peat?

Mainly what would amount now to rainforest. You'll find fossils of
leaves like giant ferns and ginkco biloba in it.

(snip)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Well, that's exactly what I though made the peat which later became coal... The prehistoric landscape was quite similar to the rainforest, and of course when the plants (like ferns and trees) lost their leaves or died they would end up on the damp shady floor where they became peat. In summary, plant matter is placed in water with microbes and partialy decomposes in to peat, then after millions of years being compressed under layers of new plant matter it turns in to coal.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Bry contains these words:

Well, that's exactly what I though made the peat which later became
coal... The prehistoric landscape was quite similar to the rainforest,
and of course when the plants (like ferns and trees) lost their leaves
or died they would end up on the damp shady floor where they became
peat. In summary, plant matter is placed in water with microbes and
partialy decomposes in to peat, then after millions of years being
compressed under layers of new plant matter it turns in to coal.

They didn't become peat, which is made by the partial decomposition of
mainly green vegetation.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Peat David Hill United Kingdom 3 04-10-2012 08:21 PM
Coir peat vs peat moss Mark Mantolfo Bonsai 1 21-01-2005 01:38 PM
How to test peat H2O for GH & KH Mike Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
How to test peat H2O for GH & KH Mike Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 12-03-2003 08:46 AM
Useful Info - Cheap Peat Pots in ASDA Sarah Dale United Kingdom 0 19-02-2003 06:50 PM