Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Organic remedy for tomato blight ?

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message after me

((snip))
As others have said, if it is "Tomato Blight" (and that's the same

disease
as Potato Blight) then any Toms that have it already should be pulled up

and
burnt, there is no organic cure for that disease.
However, and this is where I get flamed, you can prevent the infection

of
plants by spraying with "Bordeaux Mixture" which is a mixture of Copper
sulphate and Lime. Whilst not used by strict organic purists it does

appear
in organic catalogues and is used by some, especially if they have to

grow
their crop outside. Just wash the fruit well before using.

LOL. Flame coming :-) I'd really like to understand on what basis anyone

can
call such a toxic mixture of chemicals 'organic'. Whats 'organic' about

it,
precisely, other than the bizzarre fact its in an 'organic' catalogue for
historical resaons? Is that the definition of organic now?
And ...'Just wash the fruit well before using'? What about all those ads
decrying pesticides and complaining 'why should I have to wash chemicals

off
my food before I eat it'?

Why did I have you in the frame for that flame? :-)

My Oxford English says... Organic... produced without artificial fertilizers
or pesticides.
From that it appears to be the word artificial that is crucial. Well Lime
isn't artificial really and nor is Copper sulphate so that's OK then?
As for washing fruit and veg, well I personally don't like bird,
caterpillar, greenfly or any other sh1t on my food either so I wash it as do
most people.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these

words:

LOL. Flame coming :-) I'd really like to understand on what basis anyone

can
call such a toxic mixture of chemicals 'organic'. Whats 'organic' about

it,
precisely, other than the bizzarre fact its in an 'organic' catalogue

for
historical resaons? Is that the definition of organic now?
And ...'Just wash the fruit well before using'? What about all those ads
decrying pesticides and complaining 'why should I have to wash chemicals

off
my food before I eat it'?

It's there largely because no better remedy has been found.

In any case, the word 'organic' has been hijacked to mean something else
entirely. Any growing thing is organic, whatever nutrients or *icides
have been used on it.

It's about time we reclaimed it before it goes the way of 'nice' [1]
And of 'sophisticated' [2]
And 'Prevaricate' [3]

And 'gay' [4]
And 'gender' [5]

[1] exact, precise, to the point. Often used to mean pleasant by those
who are not nice.
[2] Adulterated, deceitful
[3] To lie, dissemble, evade by deceit (When 'procrastinate' is meant)

[4] Full of, or disposed to or indicating mirth
[5] Grammatical classification of two (or three) classes of objects
occasionally corresponding to the sexes and sexlessness

To wit, in German, all girls are sexless.

Franz

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

p.s. Coincidentally, I was up at 3.30am this morning to collect an Aussy
relative from Heathrow.

pedant

Difficult to find a 3.30 am in any other part of the day......

It might have been 3.30 am on the day before.

Franz

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:41:56 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

[...]

To woo, they are not.
--
Martin
Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

{:-))

Your best so far.

Franz

Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

To wit, in German, all girls are sexless.

Tell that to the spammers....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

To wit, in German, all girls are sexless.

To woo, they are not.

You have the advantave over me there then. I've *FANCIED* one, but not
wooed her.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

p.s. Coincidentally, I was up at 3.30am this morning to collect an Aussy
relative from Heathrow.

pedant

Difficult to find a 3.30 am in any other part of the day......

It might have been 3.30 am on the day before.

Troo. Shooting from the hip again.... I usually have a few hundred posts
to look at in the Shed, after gardening.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 13-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Peter Richards

Hi Janet,

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:00:12 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

3. Even if I lived in the UK, this would not be a 'silly' time of the
year to plant tomatoes (i.e. I may have a hothouse).

Well, yes, it would. Scotland has already had snow, England has
already had frost,and we're past the autumn equinox so daylight hours
AND light levels are falling fast.

If you had read all of what I had said, you would have noticed I
mentioned a hothouse. Snow, frost, daylight hours, warmth, etc,etc are
quite irrelevant in a hothouse with artificial light and heating.

We can talk better sense if we bear in mind the charter of this group,
and the advice posted every week to newcomers;

" Uk.rec.gardening is based in the British Isles for the discussion
of gardening within those islands.(snip)Contributors from outside the
British Isles are not discouraged but,because this newsgroup is intended
to help gardeners in the British
Isles, it should be remembered that all questions and answers should
relate to a climate similar to that found in the British Isles."

rant on
Having lived in the Philippines for a number of years, we lived on a
compound with a number of people from the "British Isles". That
included people from Wales, Scotland and England of course. We also
worked with these people, and therefore came to know and understand
what the "climate" is in those islands. We also, during those years,
had numerous vistors from the British Isles, who further informed us
of the waether/climate. Even living back here in Oz, we have friends
either working or on holidays in various parts of the UK, who, of
course, further inform us of the climate in that area.

Hmm, ..... climate similar, yes, indeed. Where we live the climate is
similar./rant off

Thanks for your help lol

Peter

Peter Richards

(but use hotmail to email)
Old 13-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Peter Richards

Hi Bob,

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:00:24 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Peter wrote in message
I forgot to mention that I live in Australia,

Now we understand the problem, I thought your original post a bit strange
for the UK, welcome.

Thanks, Bob, one of the few friendly responses in this thread.

Peter

Peter Richards

(but use hotmail to email)

Old 13-10-2003, 08:42 AM
martin

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:03:53 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

To wit, in German, all girls are sexless.

To woo, they are not.

You have the advantave over me there then. I've *FANCIED* one, but not
wooed her.

I've done both.
--
Martin
Old 13-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

He says that he knows of no truly effective inorganic control,
either. In his opinion, the only answer is to pull them out and burn
them. Don't plant new plants in the same area.

So much varying advice! EG:

HDRA says in
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/dc17.htm

"It is probably wise not to compost tomato fruits either. Infected
potato and tomato haulms (foliage) may be composted in a good active
heap. The likelihood of resistant spores being present is very slim.
Infection is much more likely to come from external sources"

RHA says in http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ato_blight.asp

"The fungus can be seed-borne, so do not save seed from infected fruit.
Destroy infected plants - do not compost them"

Old 13-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Peter Richards
writes

If you had read all of what I had said, you would have noticed I
mentioned a hothouse. Snow, frost, daylight hours, warmth, etc,etc are
quite irrelevant in a hothouse with artificial light and heating.

Well, not quite irrelevant ;-)

It costs me a lot more to maintain my greenhouse at a cactus-friendly
temperature when there is snow and frost outside ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: