Old 26-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Mark Allison

Default What's this?

Hi,

A flower has popped up in my greenhouse and I wondered what it is. Looks
like some kind of annual seed has got in. I do like it and wondered what it
was.

Images he
http://www.markallison.co.uk/garden/...use_flower.jpg (534KB)
http://www.markallison.co.uk/garden/...er_closeup.jpg (287KB)

Thanks for looking!

Mark.

Old 26-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:26:04 -0000, "Mark Allison" nomail@please
wrote:

A flower has popped up in my greenhouse and I wondered what it is. Looks
like some kind of annual seed has got in. I do like it and wondered what it
was.

Cosmos. Save some seed for next year and sow it as a late summer
flower. A wonderful easy doer! Comes in shades of pink and also
white.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Emrys Davies

'Mark',

I think your variety is Cosmos Sonata Mixed.

http://wholesale.thompson-morgan.com...product/6203/1

Sensation Mixed is too tall for my liking.

I sow the seed in early April and mine are still flowering outdoors.

As you can see there are four colours, but you have to take your chance
as to which is which if you buy the seed.

You should be able to obtain good seeds in those conditions.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 26-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

A flower has popped up in my greenhouse and I wondered what it is. Looks
like some kind of annual seed has got in. I do like it and wondered what

it
was.

Cosmos. Save some seed for next year and sow it as a late summer
flower. A wonderful easy doer! Comes in shades of pink and also
white.

An ineradicable roadside weed in South Africa, but a delightful plant
withal.

Franz

Old 27-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Mark Allison

Thanks. I don't know how it got in the greenhouse - I've never bought the
seed, it just appeared. I think I will save the seed from it when it sets
seed and plant it next year. Is it a hybrid - ie will it produce similar
plants from seed I collect?

Thanks.

Old 28-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Emrys Davies

'Mark',

The seeds will produce identical plants in every respect. They should be
grown outdoors about 2' apart as their spread is at least 2' and they
are at least 2' tall.

I wish you luck.