Old 27-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Alec Powell

Default Plant identification

Could nay of you experts out there please help with identifying a plant
for me please.
Image to be found he http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/plant.html
All I can tell you is that it likes heat and humidity but not being a
houseplant man myself I haven't the faintest idea what it is or where to
start looking :-(
Cheers,
Alec Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Old 27-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Philippe Gautier

Alec Powell wrote:
Could nay of you experts out there please help with identifying a plant
for me please.
Image to be found he http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/plant.html
All I can tell you is that it likes heat and humidity but not being a
houseplant man myself I haven't the faintest idea what it is or where to
start looking :-(
Cheers,
Alec Powell

Is it not one of the Kalanchoe species? I am afraid I cannot find which
one though...

Philippe

Old 27-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jim W

Alec Powell wrote:

Could nay of you experts out there please help with identifying a plant
for me please.
Image to be found he http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/plant.html
All I can tell you is that it likes heat and humidity but not being a
houseplant man myself I haven't the faintest idea what it is or where to
start looking :-(

http://directory.google.com/Top/Scie..._Fauna/Plantae
/Magnoliophyta/Magnoliopsida/Crassulaceae/Kalanchoe/

As it is a Kalachoe, one of the more heat loving types. Difficult to say
which species. There are quite a few that are similar in appearance.
Where did you get it?

The charge for that guidance is, a cutting;-)

//
Jim
Old 27-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Alec Powell

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Jim W, gave forth these words of wisdom:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Scie..._Fauna/Plantae
/Magnoliophyta/Magnoliopsida/Crassulaceae/Kalanchoe/

As it is a Kalachoe, one of the more heat loving types. Difficult to say
which species. There are quite a few that are similar in appearance.
Where did you get it?

The charge for that guidance is, a cutting;-)

Thanks for this Jim and Phillipe.
I like your prognosis.
We were given two small plants last year by a friend who has since
emigrated? to Cyprus. From where it originally came I do not have a
clue! The one in the picture was given to a friend, kept indoors and is
now about 36 inches high. Our plant was kept outdoors all last winter
and survived and is now in the greenhouse, albeit only a mere 6 inches
tall. My wife suggests that as it may be a species that grows to a
height of 6 feet, this could be interesting.
(That is to say that most of her plants that end up too big usually find
their way to my allotment :-)
I shall bear in mind the charge of a cutting but I warn you that until
SWMBO has tired of it I would be putting my head on a block to do
anything that might be construed as encroaching on her territory!
She: Garden and Houseplants!
Me: Allotments!
Ne're the twain shall meet:-)
Cheers,
Alec

Old 21-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Spider

Hello Jim,
By chance, I came across a reference to your mystery plant.
It IS a Kalanchoe; the species name is 'beharensis'. It has a common name
of Velvet Leaf.

The article suggests it is easy to grow, eventually reaching 3-4ft tall.
It likes plenty of light. However, it likes to rest in winter and needs to
be kept cool. It can withstand temps down to 5 degr. C.
Allow surface of compost to dry out between waterings in summer. In winter,
allow the top half of the compost to dry out. This is obviously dependent
on indoor temps., but you could be watering only once a month.
Apply a well-balanced liquid fertiliser every month during the growing
season.

To propagate, cut leaf from stalk and peg down into moist cuttings compost;
new plants will form at end of leaf stalk. You can also propagate by
hanging a healthy leaf in the air, and it will produce plantlets in time(!)

To avoid loss of too many lower leaves, pot on often enough to ensure plenty
of growing space for the roots. Use two parts John Innes No2 with some (?)
soiless compost with added sharp sand.

Weak growth results from too much warmth in winter when the light levels are
too low for healthy growth. Leaves curling under at the tip is a sign of
irregular watering, esp. if roots are dry.
Water more frequently during summer and pot on when roots are restricted.

Hope this helps.
Spider
Jim W wrote in message
news:1g3hvir.8sx2thq0f4siN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...