GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Glass mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/46278-glass-mulch.html)

kelsa 28-10-2003 03:37 PM

Glass mulch

Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here, I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

JennyC 28-10-2003 04:22 PM

Glass mulch

"kelsa" wrote in message
s.com...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!
kelsa

Google threw up............

http://www.meridiantv.co.uk/whats_on...chive/p4_10_ap
ril.html has :
Windmill Aggregates for providing us with the blue glass mulch used in the
noughts and crosses board: 01279 876987

http://www.gardenzone.co.uk/magazine/magazine_out.html

HTH Jenny

Franz Heymann 28-10-2003 05:22 PM

Glass mulch

"kelsa" wrote in message
s.com...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Franz

Jim W 28-10-2003 05:23 PM

Glass mulch

kelsa wrote:

Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

Or try a BIG glass co or known glass recycler for large amounts.

//
Jim

Jim W 28-10-2003 05:23 PM

Glass mulch

Franz Heymann wrote:

"kelsa" wrote in message
s.com...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Franz

Spot on Franz;-) But the poor newbie only asked for a source, and got
free fashion advice;-) BIG GRIN!

Possibly the french used it in a more stylish way than you'd ever see on
UK TV tho? Who knows!-)
/
Jim

keith 28-10-2003 06:02 PM

Glass mulch

Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!I probably wouldn't like anything you like
or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly everytime
you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!! have you
got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give everyone a
chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!
chillouuuuuuuuttttt.
thanks all keith

W" wrote in message
news:1g3juaj.x4dm2hvm01tsN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...

Jaques d'Altrades 28-10-2003 07:12 PM

Glass mulch

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Don't be unkind - or Mrs Be-done-by-as-you-did will come and lay pink
concwete all over your fwont garden and scatter gnomes and fluffy
bunnies all round the plastic flowers, and faiwies will come and dance
on the cwistal fountain....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Kay Easton 28-10-2003 09:02 PM

Glass mulch

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"kelsa" wrote in message
ws.com...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Everyone has their own taste! Some people even grow sedum spectabile ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Nick Maclaren 28-10-2003 09:22 PM

Glass mulch

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Everyone has their own taste! Some people even grow sedum spectabile ;-)

What does it taste like? I know several sedums are grown for eating,
but they don't excite me.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jim W 28-10-2003 09:42 PM

Glass mulch

keith wrote:

Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!I probably wouldn't like anything you like
or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly everytime
you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!! have you
got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give everyone a
chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!
chillouuuuuuuuttttt.
thanks all keith

Erm,.. if you're addressing that to Franz why are you posting it as a
follup to my message?
/
Jim

Franz Heymann 28-10-2003 10:02 PM

Glass mulch

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"kelsa" wrote in message
ws.com...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Everyone has their own taste! Some people even grow sedum spectabile ;-)

I bet the glass shards do not attract much by way of butterflies. {:-))
Of course, the OP is welcome to his/her taste. That does not prevent it
from having the attributes I ascribed to it.

Franz

Franz Heymann 28-10-2003 10:02 PM

Glass mulch

"keith" wrote in message
Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!

Of course. Even if it is in fact tasteless.

I probably wouldn't like anything you like
or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly everytime
you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!! have

you
got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give everyone

chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!

You should read what I write more frequently.

Franz

David Hill 28-10-2003 10:02 PM

Glass mulch

And I thought it was a question on Chinese gardening. Glass mulch.......Ah
so.

Thinks, if you made your own from empty wine bottles it would keep the foxes
out.........Or is that a different thread?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

David Hill 28-10-2003 10:02 PM

Glass mulch

Just remembered that a few years ago at Hampton court flower show they used
broken up CD's as a mulch,,,,,,,,,good use for all those junk ones that come
through the door.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Franz Heymann 28-10-2003 10:12 PM

Glass mulch

"keith" wrote in message
Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!I probably wouldn't like anything you

like
or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly everytime
you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!! have

you
got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give everyone

chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!
chillouuuuuuuuttttt.

Don't top post. It makes a mess of the thread..

The Hoopeses 29-10-2003 06:22 AM

Glass mulch

Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"kelsa" wrote in message
ews.com...

Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!

How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.

Everyone has their own taste! Some people even grow sedum spectabile ;-)

Imagine that!

-
Al

The Hoopeses 29-10-2003 06:33 AM

Glass mulch

David Hill wrote:

Just remembered that a few years ago at Hampton court flower show they used
broken up CD's as a mulch,,,,,,,,,good use for all those junk ones that come
through the door.

I suspend them near my veggie patch to keep out the vermin: a kind of
21st Century scarecrow. It's an interesting sight when you have a lot
of them and the wind catches them. I used to use strips of foil, but
the CDs are a very economical solution. They also last longer.

-
Al

K 29-10-2003 12:02 PM

Glass mulch

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "keith" wrote in message
: ...
: Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!I probably wouldn't like anything you
: like
: or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly
everytime
: you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!! have
: you
: got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give
everyone
: a
: chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!
: chillouuuuuuuuttttt.
:
: Don't top post. It makes a mess of the thread..

Don't be a net nanny - it's not your group, and you are fairly new to it.

:
:

martin 29-10-2003 12:02 PM

Glass mulch

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:53:33 -0000, "K" wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "keith" wrote in message
: ...
: Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!I probably wouldn't like anything you
: like
: or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly
everytime
: you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!! have
: you
: got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give
everyone
: a
: chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!
: chillouuuuuuuuttttt.
:
: Don't top post. It makes a mess of the thread..

Don't be a net nanny - it's not your group, and you are fairly new to it.

Who did you think you were replying to?

--
Martin

Sacha 29-10-2003 02:02 PM

Glass mulch

in article , JennyC at
wrote on 28/10/03 4:15 pm:

s.com...

http://www.meridiantv.co.uk/whats_on...archive/p4_10_
ap
ril.html has :
Windmill Aggregates for providing us with the blue glass mulch used in the
noughts and crosses board: 01279 876987

http://www.gardenzone.co.uk/magazine/magazine_out.html

HTH Jenny

Personally, it would remind me of municipal cemeteries where all-too-many
graves are covered in glass.
One source of clear glass could be the people who replace windscreens. I'd
hate to do the weeding in that garden, though - ouch!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

K 29-10-2003 06:03 PM

Glass mulch

"martin" wrote in message
: On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:53:33 -0000, "K" wrote:
:
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "keith" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: --
: Martin

I was replying to Franz - that's why I posted immediately after his
sentence - or so I thought. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JennyC 29-10-2003 07:02 PM

Glass mulch

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Ummmmmmm but it can look stunning in the right place:

http://www.chrisjacobson.com/portfol...deahouse5.html

http://landscape2go.com/3.htm See the 'custom design" slide show....... :~))

Jenny

Franz Heymann 29-10-2003 09:03 PM

Glass mulch

"K" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

:
: Don't top post. It makes a mess of the thread..

Don't be a net nanny - it's not your group, and you are fairly new to it.

I appear to know considerably more netiquette than you, and I actually try
to behave more or less in accordance with it.
How about trying it out? It makes for a much better continuity in the
logical progression of a thread.

[snip]
Franz

K 29-10-2003 10:12 PM

Glass mulch

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: :
: : Don't top post. It makes a mess of the thread..
:
: Don't be a net nanny - it's not your group, and you are fairly new to
it.
:
: I appear to know considerably more netiquette than you, and I actually try
: to behave more or less in accordance with it.
: How about trying it out? It makes for a much better continuity in the
: logical progression of a thread.
:
: [snip]
: Franz
:
Do you? How do you know? I don't top post but if people want to I don't
feel it's my place to tell them not to. I also try to refrain from telling
people they have poor or no taste just because their taste may be different
from mine.

keith 30-10-2003 12:12 AM

Glass mulch

This all started due to glass mulch? Nice one I,well said.I made the top
post,not knowing!Franz, mistakes are made you should take a chill pill!!Have
you checked your blood pressure lately,after all it is meant to be fun,not
crucify someone because you don't agree.
will this be the last word,then we can get back to gardening or we could
create a bitching newsgroup,that could be fun!
keith
"K" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:

Franz Heymann 30-10-2003 08:02 AM

Glass mulch

"keith" wrote in message
is that what you call a top post,opps!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. You managed to top post. Does it make you happy?

Franz

Franz Heymann 30-10-2003 08:02 AM

Glass mulch

"K" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: :
: : Don't top post. It makes a mess of the thread..
:
: Don't be a net nanny - it's not your group, and you are fairly new to
it.
:
: I appear to know considerably more netiquette than you, and I actually

try
: to behave more or less in accordance with it.
: How about trying it out? It makes for a much better continuity in the
: logical progression of a thread.
:
: [snip]
: Franz
:
Do you? How do you know?

From the nature of your comments when I try to help folk to post in the
commonly accepted way.

I don't top post but if people want to I don't
feel it's my place to tell them not to.

I, on the other hand think that the threads would be much easier to follow
if everybody followed the accepted practice of posting in-line, and I think
it worth pointing this out to urgs who appear not to appreciate it yet.

I also try to refrain from telling
people they have poor or no taste just because their taste may be

different
from mine.

I don't refrain from telling people when they have appalling taste. I also
don't mind if people do the same to me.

Franz

Franz Heymann 30-10-2003 08:02 AM

Glass mulch

"keith" wrote in message

This all started due to glass mulch? Nice one I,well said.I made the top
post,not knowing!

Now that you know, I assume that you will refrain from continuing to do so.

Franz, mistakes are made

I am very glad to hear you acknowledge that.
Will you now please post in line in your further posts?

you should take a chill pill!!
Have
you checked your blood pressure lately, after all it is meant to be

fun,not
crucify someone because you don't agree.

I did not crucify anyone. I pointed out that
(1) It is appallingly kitch taste to use pieces of glass as a mulch. That
statement was correct in all respects.
(2) Netiquette suggests, for very good reasons, that top posting is poor
practice. It is. I see no reason to poinrt this out to people who appear
not to be aware of it. How else are they supposed to become aware of this
piece oif good manners?

Franz

will this be the last word,then we can get back to gardening or we could
create a bitching newsgroup,that could be fun!

I would love to get back to gardening topics.

Franz

"K" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:

k 30-10-2003 09:12 AM

Glass mulch

[...]

If you learned to hold your tongue or reply in a courteous manner
the threads that YOU turn into long threads of nonsense would be finished.
You seem to think you know everything about newsgroups but you still
make mistakes
and then argue that you know better.
As far as I am concerned you are causing more unnecessary posts in the group
than anyone else

Keith or k or K check the Email Then you know who wrote this post

Franz Heymann 30-10-2003 09:42 AM

Glass mulch

"k" wrote in message

[...]

I do, generally.

the threads that YOU turn into long threads of nonsense would be finished.

If the folk whose errors I point out would accept what I said. the thread
would not be very long at all.

You seem to think you know everything about newsgroups

No. I don't know everything about newsgroups. Kindly point out any
statement of mine which implied that.
I do in fact know *some* things about the use of newsgroups. Those are the
things I try to bring to the attention of urglers who appear not to know.

but you still
make mistakes

Yup. I make a vast number of mistakes.

and then argue that you know better.

Balls. When a mistake on my part is pointed out I apologise absolutely
immediately about it. Sometimes in more than one posting.

As far as I am concerned you are causing more unnecessary posts in the

group
than anyone else

You do not *have* to respond to my posts. In fact those threads would be
considerably shorter if you had refrained from responding.

bigboard 30-10-2003 10:02 AM

Glass mulch

Franz Heymann wrote:

I don't refrain from telling people when they have appalling taste. I also
don't mind if people do the same to me.

You have appalling taste. ;)

keith 30-10-2003 11:22 AM

Glass mulch

Franz,
buy the way it is the way you advise someone,with ignorance!!
example, your comment- How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.
:( (that was helpful)
you could have said- glass mulch not really my taste, but you could try a
google search. :)
see the difference!
keith

Franz Heymann 30-10-2003 01:02 PM

Glass mulch

"bigboard" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

I don't refrain from telling people when they have appalling taste. I

also
don't mind if people do the same to me.

You have appalling taste. ;)

That is a possibility which I accept with grace.

Franz.

Franz Heymann 30-10-2003 01:02 PM

Glass mulch

"keith" wrote in message
Franz,
buy the way it is the way you advise someone,with ignorance!!
example, your comment- How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.
:( (that was helpful)
you could have said- glass mulch not really my taste, but you could try a
google search. :)
see the difference!

But the OP's taste was kitsch and perfectly awful. Why should I prevaricate
about it?

And don't top post. It betraysa your bad manners.

Franz

martin 30-10-2003 01:02 PM

Glass mulch

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:45:19 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

And don't top post. It betraysa your bad manners.

Franz

please snip and ignore K. :-)
--
Martin

Anne Jackson 30-10-2003 01:12 PM

Glass mulch

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Yup. I make a vast number of mistakes.

So do I! I let you out of my killfile, for you!

I won't make that bloody mistake again!!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Kay Easton 30-10-2003 01:22 PM

Glass mulch

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

But the OP's taste was kitsch and perfectly awful. Why should I prevaricate
about it?

1) if the OP feels taste is important, they may be unaware they have bad
taste, and it is something that is difficult for them to change. Telling
them bluntly that their taste is bad serves no useful purpose for them
and may distress them.

2) if they don't feel taste is important, then your comment is at best
irrelevant and at worst impertinent

3) you may be wrong ;-)

--
Kay Easton