Old 03-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Saffy

Default Plant ID please

I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it please. I
know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for the proper
name.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

Thank you,

Saffy.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Natalie

"Saffy" wrote in message
I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it please. I
know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for the proper
name.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

Thank you,

Saffy.

Senecio radicans, commonly known as 'String of pearls'.

Natalie

Old 03-11-2003, 09:06 AM
ned

"Saffy" wrote in message
I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it

please. I
know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for the

proper
name.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

This is one of those plants that brings forth, "Oh yes, I know that.
What's it called?"

I think it is the succulent, Senecio herreianus.

It is a reluctant (and unusual) flowerer in captivity.

The globular leaves present the smallest surface area for the volume
of the leaf and therefore minimises evaporation.

--
ned

Old 03-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Saffy

"Saffy" wrote in message
I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it please. I
know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for the proper
name.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

Thank you,

Saffy.

Thank you for your quick responces.

Saffy.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Saffy" writes:
| I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it please. I
| know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for the proper
| name.
|
| http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

I think that it is the string of beads plant - Senecio rowleyanus.
Yes, I do mean that it is a close relative of groundsel!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"ned" writes:

| This is one of those plants that brings forth, "Oh yes, I know that.
| What's it called?"
|
| I think it is the succulent, Senecio herreianus.

Herreianus has a different leaf shape - they are a bit like drops
of water.

| It is a reluctant (and unusual) flowerer in captivity.

And a martyr to mealybug :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Jim W

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Saffy" writes:
| I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it please. I
| know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for the proper
| name.
|
| http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

I think that it is the string of beads plant - Senecio rowleyanus.
Yes, I do mean that it is a close relative of groundsel!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I concur with Nick.. I know this plant as S. rowleyanus. Easy to grow,
does well on our NW facing windowsill. Allow o dry out between
waterings.,
/
Jim
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM
ned

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Saffy" writes:
| I have a friend who has this plant and would like an ID for it

please. I
| know you are all very knowledgeable so I would be grateful for

the proper
| name.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...nown_plant.jpg

I think that it is the string of beads plant - Senecio rowleyanus.
Yes, I do mean that it is a close relative of groundsel!

Yes, that's the one, Nick.
It must be 12 years since I grew it. But 'recognised the name as soon
as I read it.

--
ned