Old 04-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Janice

Default Spring Bulb Planting

Hi all. Due to bereavement I haven't had the time or the inclination to do
any gardening, so I haven't planted any spring bulbs yet. So, is it too
late to plant the bulbs now? I've got daffodils, crocus, snowdrops,
anenome, dutch iris, allium.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2003, 12:22 PM
VivienB

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:02:35 -0000, "Janice" wrote:

Hi all. Due to bereavement I haven't had the time or the inclination to do
any gardening, so I haven't planted any spring bulbs yet. So, is it too
late to plant the bulbs now? I've got daffodils, crocus, snowdrops,
anenome, dutch iris, allium.

Thanks

I am sorry for your loss, I know what you mean about not having the
motivation after such an event.

I do hope it isn't too late to put bulbs in - I have still got bulbs
to go in myself, even though I do not have any reasonable excuse for
not having done it already. I would suggest you have little to lose by
planting them now. If you have some good-sized pots and some compost
to hand, putting them in pots might be easier for this season. In
pots, you could move them somewhere they will make a cheerful splash
of colour early in the year, then put them in where they are to go
long-term when they finish flowering.

Regards, VivienB
Old 04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Iris McCanna

"Janice" wrote in message
Hi all. Due to bereavement I haven't had the time or the

inclination to do
any gardening, so I haven't planted any spring bulbs yet. So, is it

too
late to plant the bulbs now? I've got daffodils, crocus, snowdrops,
anenome, dutch iris, allium.

Thanks

Janice,

I'm so sorry about your loss. I too am in a similar position because
of terminal illness of a very close family member and am finding it
very difficult to motivate myself to do anything. But I have decided
to put all the unplanted bulbs in pots in a cold house for a while and
then to sink them in the ground. That way I hope I will have made up
for lost time.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind regards
Iris McCanna

Old 04-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janice
writes
Hi all. Due to bereavement I haven't had the time or the inclination to do
any gardening, so I haven't planted any spring bulbs yet. So, is it too
late to plant the bulbs now? I've got daffodils, crocus, snowdrops,
anenome, dutch iris, allium.

No, it's fine. I planted some a few days ago. And if you've already got
the bulbs, they're better in the ground than not, so even if you don't
plant them in the next couple of weeks (which would be best), still
plant them whenever you feel able - I once planted a batch of daffs in
Jan which I got cheaply as they had 4inch sprouts in the bag they were
sold in! At the very worst, they'll miss out on a year's flowering, but
will be back to normal the next year,

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: