Old 08-11-2003, 06:03 PM
al

Default Yucca elephantipes survival questions?

Hi,

Just bought one of these for my hallway and looking for some advice.
Haven't been able to get a great deal of info from the web so far other than
it should be indoors during the winter and not watered much - then outdoors
in the summer.

I want to leave it in my hallway. The front door is misted glass (actually
two front doors, first one is top-half glass only, second one all glass -
small porch in between!) and that's the main natural light (or lack of it).
There is a landing window directly up the stairs which allows for some more
ambient light to come down. Apart from that, the hall light is on most
evenings now. It's cold during the day and warm in the early morning and
all evening (radiator about 2m across the hallway from it).

Is where I've put it somewhere it's likely to survive? How often should I
water it during the winter? How about during the summer? Does it make any
difference if I put it out in the garden or not during the summer? Does it
need any nutrients in the pot? Can I use a closed-bottomed pot or should I
use a holed-pot with a plate underneath?

Old 08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"al" wrote in message
Hi,

Just bought one of these for my hallway and looking for some advice.
Haven't been able to get a great deal of info from the web so far other

than
it should be indoors during the winter and not watered much - then

outdoors
in the summer.

snip
Can I use a closed-bottomed pot or should I
use a holed-pot with a plate underneath?

I think you should always drain the pot - guards against overwatering.

If it anything like our Yuccas (three, bought as tiny stumps and now
rampant) they are very hard to kill.

I have managed to kill one by extreme neglect, but the 'pup' from one of the
others is going strong.

In Suffolk, by the sea, the two biggest are filling oak half tubs on our
balcony - about 6 feet high and very bushy. They have more or less outgrown
the tubs, and are so large that repotting will be a nightmare!

The third is in a triangle of soil by the patio (this is the 'pup') and is
growing strongly.

They all live outside all the time through rain, hail, frost, drought. They
seem incredibly hardy.

If you keep it cool in subdued light and don't water or feed it much it may
well stay small.

Food, warmth, light, water and they grow huge.

I think you are fine to keep it inside all the time if you want.

HTH

Dave R

Old 09-11-2003, 01:02 AM
al

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice. The fairly useless tag that came with it said to
keep it indoors during the winter. Perhaps when small and potted frost
could prove too much. I really want it to stay about the size it is now.
In terms of watering, should I let it dry out completely, then soak or
always keep damp?