Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default ID for dessert tree with cool survival technique

Sorry, slip
The bristlecone pine is not only Pinus longaeva, but also Pinus aristata (at
one time regarded as a single species). The former can be found in
California and thus gets more exposure.
PvR

P van Rijckevorsel schreef
The tree with the big reputation in surviving is indeed Pinus longaeva. Try
http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/

================
David Vogel schreef
Could it be a Bristlecone Pine (Pinus longaeva) they are said to be

among
the earths oldest living organisms.

"Quena" wrote
I read about a tree in the American Southwest that, during a drought,

dries up completely except for a small sliver of bark, which continues
to grow on the side of the otherwise dead trunk.

What is this tree called? I found an unlabelled pictu

http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg

Thank you!

-- Quena

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Una Smith

David Vogel wrote:
Could it be a Bristlecone Pine (pinus longaeva) they are said to be among
the earths oldest living organisms.

The tree in the photo is not a species of Pinus; it looks like
a juniper.

Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM 87545
Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Una Smith

Quena wrote:
I read about a tree in the American Southwest that, during a drought,
dries up completely except for a small sliver of bark, which contineus
to grow on the side of the otherwise dead trunk.

What is this tree called? I found an unlabelled pictu

http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg

Many kinds of tree will grow like the one shown here, if
sufficiently damaged but never quite girdled. This one looks
to be a juniper.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Jie-san Laushi

Any tree needs living wood, bark and chlorophyll to survive. Just a bit
of bark won't do it.

Not a tree, but I know of a shrub, manzanita (Arctostaphylos spp.) which often
has one strip of living bark and wood connecting shoots with roots. You would
see a seemingly dead bush, with just one leafy shoot and one stripe of red down
an otherwise bleached-out trunk.

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy
Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
manzanar

The picture is of a Bristlecone Pine located in the White Mountains of
California/Nevada - supposedly the oldest living entity on earth. Do a
google for Bristlecone Pine.
Dwight Roberts
om...

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Sean Houtman

From: (Una Smith)

Quena wrote:
I read about a tree in the American Southwest that, during a drought,
dries up completely except for a small sliver of bark, which contineus
to grow on the side of the otherwise dead trunk.

What is this tree called? I found an unlabelled pictu

http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg

Many kinds of tree will grow like the one shown here, if
sufficiently damaged but never quite girdled. This one looks
to be a juniper.

Specificqaqlly, it looks like a Juniperus osteosperma, or Utah Juniper.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 08-04-02 with 15 pictures of the Aztec Ruins.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Daryl Krupa

(Quena) wrote in message . com...
snip
What is this tree called? I found an unlabelled pictu

http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg

Quena:

I rather think that its name is unknown, as is the language
of those who might have named it, because the image seems to
have been captured long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

(Quena) wrote
snip
What is this tree called? I found an unlabelled pictu
http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg
Quena

Daryl Krupa
I rather think that its name is unknown, as is the language

of those who might have named it, because the image seems to
have been captured long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

+ + +
I always thought Star Wars was supposed to happen in the future?
Whoever it is that made the picture the quality of their photography
leaves something to be desired. One would assume that they could
do better in the "far away" ...
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Daryl Krupa

(Quena) wrote in message . com...
snip
What is this tree called? I found an unlabelled pictu

http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg

Here are a couple of images that might be of a similar tree,
for what it's worth ...

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/ex...nn/ju1099.html

http://peabody-13867.fas.harvard.edu/landscape.html

I's say, from the needle shape, that it might be a pine,
perhaps a limber pine, _Pinus flexilis_.
The damage to the lower part of the trunk might be fire-related,
perhaps from a lightning strike.

Daryl Krupa
Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Daryl Krupa

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message .. .

Daryl Krupa
I rather think that its name is unknown, as is the language

of those who might have named it, because the image seems to
have been captured long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

+ + +
I always thought Star Wars was supposed to happen in the future?

PvR:

Nope, it was "Once upon a time", before Africans and Asians
were invented, so that Lucas could populate his oderwelt mit
alienen und ubermenschen, und nicht untermenschen,
a la 1930s pulp fiction and movie serials
(Buck Rogers's Ming the Merciless not withstanding).
This also had the advantage of making his pioneering
"Black = Bad, White = Good"
motif much simpler and easier to understand.

Whoever it is that made the picture the quality of their photography
leaves something to be desired. One would assume that they could
do better in the "far away" ...

Yes, except that the tree might have been found in someone's living room.

Daryl Krupa