Old 13-11-2003, 03:12 PM
David Hill

Default Potato disease in Wales(Ring rot)

This should help a little, though you can get a similar marking in some
potatoes when they have had an overdose of Fertilizer.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/rot.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-11-2003, 12:02 PM
shazzbat

"David Hill" wrote in message
This should help a little, though you can get a similar marking in some
potatoes when they have had an overdose of Fertilizer.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/rot.htm

Ta for that, astonishingly the sun had a good photo(s) of it today. Must be
true then, it's in the sun.

Steve

Old 15-11-2003, 11:44 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"David Hill" wrote in message
This should help a little, though you can get a similar marking in some
potatoes when they have had an overdose of Fertilizer.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/rot.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Just a thought - the recent drive to recycle more, including brown wheelie
bins for household organic kitchen waste, must be increasing the amount of
infected potato waste going to compost instead of going to incinerator/tip.

So:

(1) Does composting destroy the disease spores?

(2) Does composted waste from these recycling programmes find its way into
general agriculture as well as domestic gardens?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 16-11-2003, 05:42 PM
hugh

In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes

"David Hill" wrote in message
This should help a little, though you can get a similar marking in some
potatoes when they have had an overdose of Fertilizer.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/rot.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Just a thought - the recent drive to recycle more, including brown wheelie
bins for household organic kitchen waste, must be increasing the amount of
infected potato waste going to compost instead of going to incinerator/tip.

Snip
The notice on our brown wheelie bin (for garden waste) specifically
lists vegetable peelings (amongst other things) as NOT to be included.
--
hugh
Old 18-11-2003, 01:42 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"hugh" ] wrote in message
snip
Just a thought - the recent drive to recycle more, including brown

wheelie
bins for household organic kitchen waste, must be increasing the amount

of
infected potato waste going to compost instead of going to

incinerator/tip.

Snip
The notice on our brown wheelie bin (for garden waste) specifically
lists vegetable peelings (amongst other things) as NOT to be included.

And they check this how?

Old 18-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"hugh" ] wrote in message
snip
Just a thought - the recent drive to recycle more, including brown

wheelie
bins for household organic kitchen waste, must be increasing the amount

of
infected potato waste going to compost instead of going to

incinerator/tip.

Snip
The notice on our brown wheelie bin (for garden waste) specifically
lists vegetable peelings (amongst other things) as NOT to be included.

And they check this how?

That's akin to the story of the busybody who chided me for putting a black
Nescafe bottle into the "white" bin. Luckily I had a penknife and a second
bottle available, which allowed me to show her that the black was only paint
on a transparent glass (white?) bottle. I had to follow this up with a
brief lecture to the effect that the black organic paint would burn off
without leaving a trace when the bottle was recycled.

Franz

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Potato Ring rot Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 13-11-2003 03:13 PM
Potato disease in Wales Reid United Kingdom 2 13-11-2003 01:32 PM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated to Darren Garrison Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated to Cereoid+10 Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM