Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-11-2003, 09:04 PM
J Rogers

Default Seaside Garden Help please

Hi

Are there any good books / leaflets with suggestions for a seaside garden.

Garden is flat facing the sea looking southwest. On the 50 foot contour.
Obviously a problem with wind and salt but very mild. No trees within 2
miles.
Ground is soil to 3 foot over limestone.

I have been planting Oleria Haasti as a windbreak and to catch the salt, it
is thriving at 8 foot. Other plants have a chance behind it. Escallonia is
slow growing affected by salt I think. Rosa Rugosa does well.

I am thinking of fruit trees behind the Oleria. Can anyone suggest hardy
varieties.

Also what is the chance of Holm Oak or the Maritime Pine?

All suggestions welcomw.

John