Old 26-11-2003, 02:05 AM

Default Trees In Ireland

TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees. Is the terrain,
clmate, etc. not suitable to trees or is it because animals chomp
them?

Jack
Old 26-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Cerumen

" wrote in message
om...
TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees. Is the terrain,
clmate, etc. not suitable to trees or is it because animals chomp
them?

Certainly where I live in West Cork there are plenty of trees even though
other areas are barren. The rainfall here is not as great as some think
and all that it really shows is that TV programs give a limited and
distorted view of Ireland, or indeed any country in general.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 26-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Victoria Clare

"Cerumen" wrote in news:bq248m$6s4$2
@kermit.esat.net:

" wrote in message
om...
TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees.

Certainly where I live in West Cork there are plenty of trees even though
other areas are barren. The rainfall here is not as great as some think
and all that it really shows is that TV programs give a limited and
distorted view of Ireland, or indeed any country in general.

I remember the day that the 'Holiday' program 'did' North Devon. They
described it as 'attractive but rather flat'.

On closer inspection it proved that they'd spent part of one day in
Braunton (which has a small flat area of marshland immediately behind the
coast), and had done the rest by helicopter. They must have flown at quite
a height...

Either that, or the entire team secretly live in the Alps.

Victoria

Old 26-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Tim Challenger

On 25 Nov 2003 17:43:05 -0800, wrote:

TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees. Is the terrain,
clmate, etc. not suitable to trees or is it because animals chomp
them?

Jack

This comment is for a time before 1667,
from :
http://www.leevalleyireland.com/wild...ibh_laoire.htm

'The Gaelic word for road, "bothar", reminds us that the first roads were
"cow paths" through the then dense temperate rainforest of oak and elm and
the associate under-canopy of holly, hazel, yew, crabapple, wild cherry and
buckthorn.'

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 26-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:09:11 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

I remember the day that the 'Holiday' program 'did' North Devon. They
described it as 'attractive but rather flat'.

? !
Perhaps they were on drugs.

Old 26-11-2003, 01:33 PM
shazzbat

" wrote in message
om...
TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees. Is the terrain,
clmate, etc. not suitable to trees or is it because animals chomp
them?

Jack

There is an excellent arboretum in Ireland with huge quantities of all kinds
of trees from all over the world. It's a memorial arboretum named for one of
your countrymen. His initials were JFK.

Beats an airport any day :-))

It's an excellent place to visit by the way, and I'm sure there'll be a
website somewhere in wwwland.
Steve

Old 26-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Shannie

"shazzbat" wrote in message

TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees. Is the terrain,
clmate, etc. not suitable to trees or is it because animals chomp
them?

Jack

There is an excellent arboretum in Ireland with huge quantities of all

kinds
of trees from all over the world. It's a memorial arboretum named for one

of
your countrymen. His initials were JFK.

Yes, your right steve, it's in Co.Wexford and is indeed beautiful

Beats an airport any day :-))

It's an excellent place to visit by the way, and I'm sure there'll be a
website somewhere in wwwland.

Right again, here 'tis
http://tinyurl.com/wmto

shannie (Ireland)

Old 26-11-2003, 05:10 PM
martin

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:15:31 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:09:11 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

I remember the day that the 'Holiday' program 'did' North Devon. They
described it as 'attractive but rather flat'.

? !
Perhaps they were on drugs.

perhaps they were referring to one of the presenters?
--
Martin

Garden Waste problem - Dublin Ireland Niall Smyth United Kingdom 1 08-03-2004 07:50 PM
Ireland permaculture / smallholding seek contacts Clive Corner Gardening 0 27-09-2003 12:32 PM
Bells Of Ireland Jayne United Kingdom 0 05-04-2003 06:32 PM
Historic Homes and Gardens of Ireland Tour 2003 Kerry Ninneman Gardening 0 30-03-2003 09:20 PM
Holidaying in Ireland info please sacha United Kingdom 0 08-02-2003 05:49 PM