Old 27-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Gea Jones

Default Dreading the Briars, what to do ?

My garden has developed a really thorough root system of
brambles/blackberries, they are huge,
basically I want to kill them , but don't know how, any help most gratefully
received
thanks
Gea

--
http://community.webtv.net/AveAveAlt...ROSYHEALINGFOR
©

Old 27-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Robert

: My garden has developed a really thorough root system of
: brambles/blackberries, they are huge,
: basically I want to kill them , but don't know how, any help most
: gratefully received
: thanks
: Gea

Depends what you are able to do. If you can cut them down you can either
cover the ground with old carpets for a year and they will die off......or
dig them out. Depends how much energy you have

Old 27-11-2003, 09:34 PM
ned

"Gea Jones" wrote in message
My garden has developed a really thorough root system of
brambles/blackberries, they are huge,
basically I want to kill them , but don't know how, any help most

gratefully
received

Big problems usually need big (time and effort) solutions.
If you can dig them out, do it.
Or, cut the stems about 6 inches from the ground, drill a hole down
the soft sappy central core, and pour some 'RootOut' or 'StumpKiller'
into the hole. Leave. And wait. This will kill the plant off but the
stumps and roots can take forever to rot away. But, you can then grub
out the roots 'at your leisure' over a period of time.
Or you could wait till next Spring, wait for the new growth to appear
and treat that with 'BrushKiller'. This will kill the plant off but
........ etc, as above.

--
ned