Old 04-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Laurie Moseley

Default Re-laying an old lawn on clay

I have a lawn, about 40 yards x 20 yards. It is on a 2-way slope (top to bottom
and side to side) which varies in its angles. The underlying soil is clay. It
is now both compacted and rather wet, and the grass is looking tired and is
yellowing. It contains a variety of grasses, including couch, and some moss. It
is also rather undulating I want to improve it (a) to get a better lawn
(presumably by improving the underlying soil) and (b) to get a constant slope,
with the undulations. Questions:

1a. Can I just rotovate it, add grit-composted bark-other elements and sow new
seed?
1b. If so, at what time of the year should I do that?

OR

2. Should I kill the whole thing with, say, Glyphosate, and then rotovate etc.
Again, when should we do that? This second option involves more work, but if
that would make a substantial difference, I'll do it.

Any suggestions, comments, or ideas?

With thanks

Laurie
Old 04-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Laurie Moseley) contains these words:

I have a lawn, about 40 yards x 20 yards. It is on a 2-way slope (top
to bottom
and side to side) which varies in its angles. The underlying soil is
clay. It
is now both compacted and rather wet, and the grass is looking tired and is
yellowing. It contains a variety of grasses, including couch, and some
moss. It
is also rather undulating I want to improve it (a) to get a better lawn
(presumably by improving the underlying soil) and (b) to get a
constant slope,
with the undulations. Questions:

1a. Can I just rotovate it, add grit-composted bark-other elements and
sow new
seed?

Yes. Spent mushroom compost, chalk powder and sharp sand may be added as
well as grit and compost. I don't know what the official line is, but I
would tend towards rotavating it as soon as possible, raking it more-or
less flat and spreading the additives, then I'd leave it over the winter
it for the frost to break down the top layer of clay, and for worms to
mix into it.

1b. If so, at what time of the year should I do that?

I'd wait till spring to sow the seed, but I'd cover the seed so none of
it shows, or the birds will make a meal of it.

OR

2. Should I kill the whole thing with, say, Glyphosate, and then
rotovate etc.
Again, when should we do that? This second option involves more work, but if
that would make a substantial difference, I'll do it.

I'd say this isn't necessary - couch won't survive constant mowing, and
a variety of grasses is IMO a blessing, just so long as you don't want a
tennis court or a bowling green.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)