Old 09-12-2003, 08:06 PM
will

Default how deep should a pond be?

I'm designing a concrete pond to run the length (6.5m) of a living room
window-wall (not yet built either). Maybe 1m across.

But how deep? I'd like the flexibility to grow a range of plants, but I
don't think I want a 'marginal shelf'. I assume I can balance things
precariously on underwater stands while they get established.

How about 700mm?

thanks

will

Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Rod

will wrote:

I'm designing a concrete pond to run the length (6.5m) of a living room
window-wall (not yet built either). Maybe 1m across.

But how deep? I'd like the flexibility to grow a range of plants, but I
don't think I want a 'marginal shelf'. I assume I can balance things
precariously on underwater stands while they get established.

How about 700mm?

thanks

will

The one in our Rose Garden is about that. We have a few things sitting on big
upturned earthenware pots.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 09-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"will" wrote in message ...
I'm designing a concrete pond to run the length (6.5m) of a living room
window-wall (not yet built either). Maybe 1m across.

But how deep? I'd like the flexibility to grow a range of plants, but I
don't think I want a 'marginal shelf'. I assume I can balance things
precariously on underwater stands while they get established.

How about 700mm?

Depend what you wish to grow and keep in your pond, if it's Koi or any of
the ghost carp then from 3ft to 9ft should be OK, I've seen smallish ponds
at both extremes. If it's goldfish and their relatives then 2ft upwards is
OK so your 700mm is about right. Trouble is you have to choose the Water
Lilies for the depth above the soil in the pot and much less than you
propose and you can't have anything above a pygmy variety. e.g. Sioux.
I have no shelves in my pond, they are excellent Heron fishing spots, so my
pond has straight sides to 1metre which makes it difficult for Herons. To
overcome the problem of growing marginals I use plastic coated wire to hang
the square baskets over the edge and a paving stone hides the wires and keep
them in place. Simple, and it lasts years and doesn't take up too much water
space.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
346 data units completed.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:03:27 -0000, will wrote:

I don't think I want a 'marginal shelf'.

But do put in a few places where animals that fall/jump in can get out
again...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail