Old 11-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Nathan Critchlow-Watton

Default 25 litre drum composter

Hi,

We have a very small garden, with no room for a "conventional" compost
heap. I have got access to a number of 25 litre plastic drums, and
was going to convert one of those. One of the main advantages will be
that I can turn it easily.
Can anyone point out any ways to improve this idea?:

Make about 30 5mm holes in the base of the drum. Stand the drum on
bricks, to allow air through. Wrap bubble wrap around the drum in a
forlorn attempt to insulate it. If I'm going to shake the drum, what
can I use in the bottom to ensure the air holes stay open, that won't
move about too much?

Filling it:
We'll only be using vegetative kitchen scraps, posted through the cap
hole. Should I try to "start" the compost with a couple of handfuls
of someone else's compost? Will pure kitchen waste be too rich? Do I
need to water the compost - bearing in mind that the cap will be on
all the time, so no rain wetting!

Once the compost is made, I'll cut the drum open to release it!

Thanks,
Nathan