Old 14-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Pink

Default Lavender bush pruning

I have bushes that have grown far bigger than expected - beautiful but
overpowering. What to do?

Helen Stabback.

Old 14-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Robert

: I have bushes that have grown far bigger than expected - beautiful but
: overpowering. What to do?
:
: Helen Stabback.

If you prune them you should not cut into the old wood as they will not,
generally, shoot from this. I would tend to wait until new growth to prune
them rather than do it at this time of year ........... or after flowering

Old 14-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pink" wrote in message
I have bushes that have grown far bigger than expected - beautiful but
overpowering. What to do?

If you prune, make sure there is at least one live bud or a piece of
incipient growth left, unless you want to remove the stem entirely.

Franz

Old 14-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Spider

I agree with the others: do not cut back into hard wood due to poor ( or
non-existant) regeneration. However, it sounds as if you may need to cut
back some of the top growth to prevent wind-rock during winter storms. Try
and do this during a dry period. In Spring, wait for strong new growth,
then cut back to this.
Spider

Old 15-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:34:24 +0000 (UTC), Robert wrote:

: I have bushes that have grown far bigger than expected - beautiful but
: overpowering. What to do?

If you prune them you should not cut into the old wood as they will not,
generally, shoot from this. I would tend to wait until new growth to prune
them rather than do it at this time of year ........... or after flowering

However, I have seen lavender cut back ruthlessly into old wood
in late winter do very well at regenerating. It might have been
the luck of the draw, but beware thinking that these general
rules never have exceptions.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Jim W

Pink wrote:

I have bushes that have grown far bigger than expected - beautiful but
overpowering. What to do?

Helen Stabback.

Take cuttings now,.. grow on..

Remove old bushes and replant..

Keep trimmed regularly to the desired height..

You may also wish to look at smaller cultivar and buy in plants of that
type..

Generally lavenders do not respond well to being reduced to woody
growth..

Jim

Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
Pruning Lavender frankie United Kingdom 24 02-08-2004 09:43 AM
Lavender pruning Shadow United Kingdom 4 07-10-2003 02:13 PM
Lavender pruning Flossie Australia 3 30-05-2003 01:20 PM
Pruning lavender (zone 24/8) Polar Gardening 6 04-02-2003 02:53 AM