Old 22-12-2003, 12:04 AM
David Hill

Default Bamboo seedlings

Around 4 or 5 years ago I had one of my Bamboo flower, it set seed which
brought out the largest flock of sparrows I have seen here, then as is it's
want after flowering it died.
Well last week I found about 20 seedlings growing about 6 ft from where the
clump was, so I have to assume that the seed has sat there waiting for a
heat wave or something to trigger it into growth.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

Around 4 or 5 years ago I had one of my Bamboo flower, it set seed which
brought out the largest flock of sparrows I have seen here, then as is it's
want after flowering it died.
Well last week I found about 20 seedlings growing about 6 ft from where the
clump was, so I have to assume that the seed has sat there waiting for a
heat wave or something to trigger it into growth.

Hmmm. I didn't notice a heat-wave last week.

Nor the week before.

Strange stuff, bamboo. Where I lived as a boy in the 1950's we had
several dense clumps of bamboo which had been there since the 1920s, and
presumably, never flowered.

They were still there in the mid 'seventies when my parents moved.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)