Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Aphodius

Default Callicarpa berries, and Blackcaps

Today, whilst admiring the berries on my Callicarpa japonica, I spotted a
female blackcap warbler eating them. She was joined a minute or so later by
her mate. This is the third year running that my wife and I have had
blackcaps spending Christmas around our garden. They also eat from the bird
feeders, but prefer berries and any food they find on the ground. To
encourage wintering blackcaps and give a bit of colour at this time of the
year, perhaps we should all add a callicarpa to our garden plant
collections.

Aphodius