Old 05-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Barnsley
Default Cuttings in general

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
I wouldn't bother with cuttings of polka dots.
Just wait till the purple flowers have died down - they grow viable
seed incredibly easily, and you'll have a new crop of seedlings very
quickly!

I've been keeping polka dot plants for over 10 years and I've never had
one flower. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Kerry
Hullo, I've just got a hypoestes plant but I'm not sure how much I should water it, sorry if this sounds silly, I'm only 14 lol

Cheers, Ellie
Old 06-01-2004, 10:42 AM
jane

~
~I've been keeping polka dot plants for over 10 years and I've never had
~one flower. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.
~

Hmmmm.
I grew the bog standard pink-dotted hypoestes for years: tried
everything to stop them growing long and lanky, chopped them down
regularly etc. Eventually I'd let the stems shoot up and at about
8-10" high they'd flower in the leaf axils. And I'd get my next lot of
seed. Admittedly it was about 20 years ago so perhaps they've bred a
new type which stays compact and has no flowers.

I remember the seed pods were like little boats, and would ping! open
and scatter the contents over a wide area. I used to find polka dots
in all surrounding plants...

I'm intrigued now!

--
jane