Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Kerry

Default Cuttings in general

Now - do you have any African Violets in the house? If so, cut off a leaf
or three. Cover a glass of water with cling film and pierce a slit (or
three) in the film. Insert the leaf so that it's in the water, place glass
on a window sill. Wait. And wait. ;-) I've lost count of the times I've
done this and the times I've been convinced (all of them) that this wasn't
going to work THIS time.........

You can do that laying small pieces of leaf on damp potting compost, or
just burying a small part of the leaf section in damp compost.

On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
polka dot plant cuttings to take root? I keep trying with houseplant
compost and dipping the stem in rooting powder but with no success.

Kerry

Old 03-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kerry" wrote in message
Now - do you have any African Violets in the house? If so, cut off a

leaf
or three. Cover a glass of water with cling film and pierce a slit (or
three) in the film. Insert the leaf so that it's in the water, place

glass
on a window sill. Wait. And wait. ;-) I've lost count of the times

I've
done this and the times I've been convinced (all of them) that this

wasn't
going to work THIS time.........

You can do that laying small pieces of leaf on damp potting compost, or
just burying a small part of the leaf section in damp compost.

On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
polka dot plant cuttings to take root?

What is a polka dot plant?

[snip]

Franz

Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kerry contains these words:

You can do that laying small pieces of leaf on damp potting compost, or
just burying a small part of the leaf section in damp compost.

On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
polka dot plant cuttings to take root? I keep trying with houseplant
compost and dipping the stem in rooting powder but with no success.

I see no-one's answered (unless they've stumbled into my spamtrap by
accident).

I'm sorry, I have no idea what a polka-dot plant is.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 04-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Kerry

On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
polka dot plant cuttings to take root? I keep trying with houseplant
compost and dipping the stem in rooting powder but with no success.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what a polka-dot plant is.

Apparently Hypoestes phyllostachya according to:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hypoestes.html

Kerry

Old 04-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kerry" wrote in message

On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
polka dot plant cuttings to take root? I keep trying with houseplant
compost and dipping the stem in rooting powder but with no success.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what a polka-dot plant is.

Apparently Hypoestes phyllostachya according to:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hypoestes.html

The RHS Encyclopedia says it is propagated b y stem cuttings in the spring.
Did you remember to cut at a node and strip the bottom few inches of leaves?
Did you remember to keep it covered with plastic or glass to stop
transpiration?

Franz

Old 04-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Kerry" wrote in message

On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
polka dot plant cuttings to take root? I keep trying with houseplant
compost and dipping the stem in rooting powder but with no success.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what a polka-dot plant is.

Apparently Hypoestes phyllostachya according to:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hypoestes.html

The RHS Encyclopedia says it is propagated b y stem cuttings in the spring.
Did you remember to cut at a node and strip the bottom few inches of leaves?
Did you remember to keep it covered with plastic or glass to stop
transpiration?

And maybe leave out the rooting powder, which we've discussed before.

Mike.

Old 05-01-2004, 09:32 AM
jane

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:28:53 +0000, Kerry
wrote:

~Now - do you have any African Violets in the house? If so, cut off a leaf
~or three. Cover a glass of water with cling film and pierce a slit (or
~three) in the film. Insert the leaf so that it's in the water, place glass
~on a window sill. Wait. And wait. ;-) I've lost count of the times I've
~done this and the times I've been convinced (all of them) that this wasn't
~going to work THIS time.........
~
~
~ You can do that laying small pieces of leaf on damp potting compost, or
~ just burying a small part of the leaf section in damp compost.
~
~On the subject of cuttings, is the above a good method for trying to get
~polka dot plant cuttings to take root? I keep trying with houseplant
~compost and dipping the stem in rooting powder but with no success.
~

I wouldn't bother with cuttings of polka dots.
Just wait till the purple flowers have died down - they grow viable
seed incredibly easily, and you'll have a new crop of seedlings very
quickly!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 05-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Kerry

I wouldn't bother with cuttings of polka dots.
Just wait till the purple flowers have died down - they grow viable
seed incredibly easily, and you'll have a new crop of seedlings very
quickly!

I've been keeping polka dot plants for over 10 years and I've never had
one flower. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Kerry