GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snowdrops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/49715-snowdrops.html)

Pam Moore 05-01-2004 04:10 PM

Snowdrops

I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Pam in Bristol

Sacha 05-01-2004 06:07 PM

Snowdrops

Pam Moore5/1/04 3:58

I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Our snowdrops are nowhere near flowering yet. Whoever planted them in this
garden must have loved them, because there are tens of thousands of them but
no *very* early ones. All seem to flower at different times and the ones
nearest to the house are only just coming through the grass.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

paghat 05-01-2004 07:33 PM

Snowdrops

In article , Sacha
wrote:

Pam Moore5/1/04 3:58

I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Our snowdrops are nowhere near flowering yet. Whoever planted them in this
garden must have loved them, because there are tens of thousands of them but
no *very* early ones. All seem to flower at different times and the ones
nearest to the house are only just coming through the grass.

My snowdrops are not near flowering either, but the Crocus laevigatus
fontenay is still blooming (started late in December) & Crocus ancyrensis
is well up & just getting ready. There are buds on "Chinese Lily"
Narcissus but this week is a major cold-snap so I worry those buds will be
ruined (this is a narcissus for forcing indoors, or for further south
gardens; it will USUALLY grow well on Puget Sound, but then we don't get
quite such cold winters every year, so I'm worrying for it this week). I
plant winter-blooming stuff though so that the wait for spring flowers
isn't painful, & right now the Cyclamen coums are full of magenta buds.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Mike Lyle 06-01-2004 11:14 PM

Snowdrops

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Our snowdrops are nowhere near flowering yet. Whoever planted them in this
garden must have loved them, because there are tens of thousands of them but
no *very* early ones. All seem to flower at different times and the ones
nearest to the house are only just coming through the grass.

I think they are my favourite flower.

No.

I know they are.

Oh yes, oh yes! More even than primroses, which run them close. I have
thousands here, and for me at least aspect seems to be the crucial
factor. Here, the ones in deepest shade are the ones which come
through earliest: the ones facing the sun will generally be the last
to poke through. This may seem crazy, I know; but I think it's about
freedom from frost: the ones which get most sun are also those which
are least sheltered from temperature variations.

There are, of course, plenty of natural variations and cultivars, as
well as several species; but I have no reason to believe that the ones
I have nurtured and spread about for a couple of decades aren't all
pretty much the same. I just love getting down on my knees to smell
them. Maybe I should have started a programme of selecting them for
flowering period and all that jazz; but I've always been content just
to let them rip, dividing the clumps from time to time. There is a
God, after all.

Mike.

Jaques d'Alltrades 07-01-2004 12:36 AM

Snowdrops

The message
from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:

/snip/

(but not of snowdrops)

There are, of course, plenty of natural variations and cultivars, as
well as several species; but I have no reason to believe that the ones
I have nurtured and spread about for a couple of decades aren't all
pretty much the same. I just love getting down on my knees to smell
them. Maybe I should have started a programme of selecting them for
flowering period and all that jazz; but I've always been content just
to let them rip, dividing the clumps from time to time. There is a
God, after all.

Yes, the snowdrop and the sound of a cathedral or college choir. God is
in his Heaven, and sharing a little bit of it.

Rev. Sidney Smith can keep his foie gras to the sound of trumpets....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Mike Lyle 07-01-2004 01:21 PM

Snowdrops

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
[...]
Yes, the snowdrop and the sound of a cathedral or college choir. God is
in his Heaven, and sharing a little bit of it.

Rev. Sidney Smith can keep his foie gras to the sound of trumpets....

He was such a show-off, that man: I myself would have found the
experience quite Hellish.

Mike.

Christopher Norton 07-01-2004 06:50 PM

Snowdrops

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

I think they are my favourite flower.

No.

I know they are.

--
Rusty

I`m with you there Rusty. I think it`s the fact that no matter how bad
the weather is, they pop up regular as clock work reminding us that
spring will soon be coming and that the cold and damp conditions will
give way to warmth and sunshine.

That and the fact they are so pretty.

Couple of good gardens are open on the 14th and 15th of Feb in Bourne so
might be of interest for you.

Jaques d'Alltrades 07-01-2004 10:04 PM

Snowdrops

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Couple of good gardens are open on the 14th and 15th of Feb in Bourne so
might be of interest for you.

Some of the woodland round here are carpeted with snowdrops, and later,
with bluebells (Bucket type).

Christopher Norton 08-01-2004 10:12 AM

Snowdrops

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Couple of good gardens are open on the 14th and 15th of Feb in Bourne so
might be of interest for you.

Some of the woodland round here are carpeted with snowdrops, and later,
with bluebells (Bucket type).

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Woodland! I should be so lucky. Our recently planted wood has possibly
not been underplanted yet. We dont have too many woodlands as you know.
The local church yard has a fantastic display of Bluebells tho once it
comes.

Sacha 08-01-2004 12:42 PM

Snowdrops

Christopher Norton8/1/04 9:18

snip
Woodland! I should be so lucky. Our recently planted wood has possibly
not been underplanted yet. We dont have too many woodlands as you know.
The local church yard has a fantastic display of Bluebells tho once it
comes.

Makes me think of the Gertrude Jekyll 'joke' that gets recycled here every
so often: "no matter how small your garden, always set aside an acre for
woodland". ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Jaques d'Alltrades 08-01-2004 01:42 PM

Snowdrops

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Woodland! I should be so lucky. Our recently planted wood has possibly
not been underplanted yet. We dont have too many woodlands as you know.
The local church yard has a fantastic display of Bluebells tho once it
comes.

You'll be telling me you haven't got any mountains next.....

Janice 08-01-2004 01:43 PM

Snowdrops

"Sacha" wrote in message news:BC2300F1.12F24%

Makes me think of the Gertrude Jekyll 'joke' that gets recycled here every
so often: "no matter how small your garden, always set aside an acre for
woodland". ;-)

I read yesterday that Prince Charles's Highrove "only" employs 10 gardeners.

It drives me wild when books or tv shows go on about "small" gardens and
then show something close to an acre. If only I could have such a "small"
garden!

Sacha 08-01-2004 03:06 PM

Snowdrops

Janice8/1/04 1:34

"Sacha" wrote in message news:BC2300F1.12F24%

Makes me think of the Gertrude Jekyll 'joke' that gets recycled here every
so often: "no matter how small your garden, always set aside an acre for
woodland". ;-)

I read yesterday that Prince Charles's Highrove "only" employs 10 gardeners.

It drives me wild when books or tv shows go on about "small" gardens and
then show something close to an acre. If only I could have such a "small"
garden!

It's all so relative, isn't it? Someone who has moved from a tiny terrace
or a flat with a window box will think one third of an acre is a large
garden and two acres an estate! ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Christopher Norton 08-01-2004 04:43 PM

Snowdrops

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

You'll be telling me you haven't got any mountains next.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Your probably not aware of the plan printed in the Boston Standard one
year about building a mountain to introduce skiing to lincolnshire.

I`ll let you guess the date but it was a VERY convincing plan.

Janet Baraclough .. 08-01-2004 05:39 PM

Snowdrops

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Some of the woodland round here are carpeted with snowdrops, and later,
with bluebells (Bucket type).

Woodland! I should be so lucky. Our recently planted wood has possibly
not been underplanted yet. We dont have too many woodlands as you know.
The local church yard has a fantastic display of Bluebells tho once it
comes.

Now's the time to start underplanting your new woodland. Don't wait
until the canopy closes over, you're just losing time :-). Here's what I
did with mine.

If you can beg clumps of snowdrops in the green, divide them into
single bulbs..even the tiny ones.. and keep the root ends in a pot of
water while you work. A fist sized clump will yield scores of bulbs.
Plant them between 6" and 12" apart in uneven drifts under the trees. A
sharp knife is extremely useful for the job as you can quickly make
hundreds of slits in the soil, drop in a bulb (deep is good, with
snowdrops) and close the slit with your foot. They will clump up within
a couple of years into a good flower display; keep digging up and
dividing a few clumps every year.

The easiest and most effective way to make a bluebell woodland carpet,
is by scattering freshly collected seed as soon as it's ripe (July, here
in Scotland).Anyone nearby who has a bluebell colony will normally give
consent for this; make sure the source is the native bluebell and not
the stiff Spanish one. Just mix it with some sand or old potting compost
to make it go further, and scatter it thinly wherever you want
bluebells. You don't need to prepare the area in any way or cover the
seeds; bluebells will germinate in weedy soil, grass etc, and pull
themselves down into the soil by their own roots. In the first spring
they germinate like grass; a few flowers will appear in the third year.
From then on, your colony is producing seed which you can use to extend
it.

Red campion and foxgloves are very easily naturalised the same way.
Foxgloves are biennial, so you need to scatter seed two years running to
obtain flowering continuity in the early years.

If you like celandines (I do) they can easily be spread by divided
roots, the new plants will seed freely so make sure you really want
them.

Janet.

Alan Gould 08-01-2004 08:18 PM

Snowdrops

In article , Sacha
writes

It's all so relative, isn't it? Someone who has moved from a tiny terrace
or a flat with a window box will think one third of an acre is a large
garden and two acres an estate! ;-)

Our two acre garden 'employs' two gardeners near enough full time. When
they are not doing that, they fill in as cook/housekeeper and
chauffeur/general handyman etc. Fortunately they get on very well and
they greatly enjoy their rewarding lives of honest endeavour.

We don't call it the Good Life, we call it the better life! :-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Rodger Whitlock 08-01-2004 10:16 PM

Snowdrops

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:34:49 -0000, Janice wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message news:BC2300F1.12F24%

Makes me think of the Gertrude Jekyll 'joke' that gets recycled here every
so often: "no matter how small your garden, always set aside an acre for
woodland". ;-)

I read yesterday that Prince Charles's Highrove "only" employs 10 gardeners.

It drives me wild when books or tv shows go on about "small" gardens and
then show something close to an acre. If only I could have such a "small"
garden!

I have an interesting book on garden design, "Garden Planning" by
W. S Rogers, published in 1910. As an English book from the
Edwardian era, it naturally falls under suspicion of Jekyllism
with respect to the definition of "small". Contrary to this
suspicion, however, most of the garden designs in it are for
quite small urban gardens, not the country estates of the filthy
rich.

I'm not sure how his suggested designs work out in practice, but
the plans don't look bad at all.

A book worth seeking out by those interested in garden design
issues.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Kay Easton 08-01-2004 11:13 PM

Snowdrops

In article , Sacha
writes

It's all so relative, isn't it? Someone who has moved from a tiny terrace
or a flat with a window box will think one third of an acre is a large
garden and two acres an estate! ;-)

Most people in this country think of one third of an acre as large!!!!

My garden is one of the largest in the town (I'm not sure there are any
which are larger) and extends the whole length of the adjoining street,
and yet is only one fifth of an acre.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: