Old 05-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Dave

Default I wish these people would stop ..........

Alan Gould writes
Not quite. There's a tendency for acceptable non-gardening threads like
this one to attract a great deal more responses than gardening ones.
That way, off topic mailings can become dominant, even though on topic
discussions are continuing.

At least lots of posts on a *few* threads shows its an active and
responsive group, which is a Good Thing. Tbh I find it quite simple to
decide if I'll read any thread in full, or not at all, or try a few
posts and then abandon it, and I'm not consistent - it depends on my
mood, and what's been written, by whom, and if there is humour in it.

With the whole group, any group, I've found I really like some posters,
and yet do not like others, who I add to my file. I then don't see their
posts - they are just not retrieved by my s/w - so I don't see them or
get upset by them.

Lots of OT threads or a preponderance of OT threads - labelled or
otherwise - does colour my perception of a group. At a certain stage
where its hard to pick out on-topic threads then I'd agree the group
might be going downhill. But usually that is for lack of interest and
lack of sufficient on-topic posters.

Urg seems to me to be holding its own. I haven't had time to scan it for
some months, but a quick glance now and then shows plenty of gardening
threads and relatively little rubbish. So either my selectivity is doing
its job or those responsible for generating rubbish have moved on,
finding another suitable group to create ructions in and show how clever
they are at manipulating peoples emotions. Remember the 12 year old kids
from Birmingham?

So I wouldn't worry unduly. Don't feel tempted to read all the articles
in the ng if they have an unappetising title or content, any more than
you would feel bound to read every article in a newspaper or listen to
every news broadcast on the tv, or sit through every film that is made.
Be selective.

Gardeners seem to me to be very patient folk by and large, it comes with
the hobby. We are used to pernicious weeds and try and develop the best
solution one year after another. Mine is my little file, endless
patience, and making gradual progress year on year.

Nice to see a lot of the regulars are still around - Happy New Year!
--
David