Old 12-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Sacha

Default The Eden Project

Mike12/1/04 3:14

Bit early, I'd say. I did think of suggesting a visit to Lanhydrock

(house)
but it won't be open then.
--

Nothing mentioned in my guide about not being open.

Mike

I *think* you'll find that most NT properties don't open until Easter or
thereabouts.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scri...PROPERTY&PROPE
RTYID=5

This says Lanhydrock doesn't open until 29 March at 1130. Even if this is
still last year's date, it indicates a late spring opening.
Even our tea room doesn't open until 1st March!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Mike

In
any case, from your pov, this is *very* much gardening orientated -
nothing but nursery and garden to visit, so might not appeal to your
punters.

'my punters'??

Ordinary, mostly retired people, with a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide range of
interests and with wives/partners/husbands etc such as in
http://www.nsrafa.com/contact_us.htm

ex RAF from 702213 Cox 1938 to Dyke 5100218 who went into the RAF in 1960
:-))

Mike
(Thanks for the tip about the narrow lanes :-)) Lived on a narrow lane which
got narrower and narrower and narrower. Loved to watch the occasional coach
go down the lane, then after a bit of a wait, see it reverse back past the

Old 12-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:30:19 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

: We are visiting Babbacombe nr Torquay for a Royal Navy reunion from
: Friday 23rd to Monday 26th. If we visit the Eden Project on the
: Monday, how long should we allow for the visit? Is it worth going at
: this time of the year or is it an all year attraction 'cos it is
: under cover (some cover!!) and any tips please?
:
: Many thanks in advance.
:
: Mike and Joan

You should allow at least all day and perhaps more

Robert South West England

When I went last autumn, I spent most of a day there, because I went
round twice: once to get an overall feel (it was my first visit), and
the second time to go back to look at particular items more closely.

Don't think of it as a spectacular garden though (e.g. like Rosemoor
or some of the NT gardens in the SW), because it's primary aim is
educational. I found it very interesting and informative, and I'm glad
I went, but it wasn't particularly pretty or beautiful.

--
Chris

Old 12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Sacha

Mike12/1/04 4:11

In
any case, from your pov, this is *very* much gardening orientated -
nothing but nursery and garden to visit, so might not appeal to your
punters.

'my punters'??

'customers'; 'people who pay money to you to be entertained by you'.

Ordinary, mostly retired people, with a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide range of
interests and with wives/partners/husbands etc such as in
http://www.nsrafa.com/contact_us.htm

I'm sure but I imagine you try to find things that will entertain all?
OTOH, sometimes such trips are split into two and go in different
directions.
Very many years ago, my step-father was in business where the people he
represented used to organise varying trips for the head honcho of their
outlets. So - the husbands would go off to something apparently of
masculine or business interest only and the wives would be taken to a
fashion show or similar.
Very Stepford Wives, IMO.

snip

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Mike12/1/04 3:14

Bit early, I'd say. I did think of suggesting a visit to Lanhydrock

(house)
but it won't be open then.
--

Nothing mentioned in my guide about not being open.

Mike

I *think* you'll find that most NT properties don't open until Easter or
thereabouts.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scri...PROPERTY&PROPE
RTYID=5

This says Lanhydrock doesn't open until 29 March at 1130. Even if this is
still last year's date, it indicates a late spring opening.
Even our tea room doesn't open until 1st March!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the 'x' to email me)

This year Trellisick are open through Jan and Feb and lots to see, but its a
good bit further down for mike to go.
I have always thought its daft for Cornish gardens start opening at Easter
when Spring starts so much earlier.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Sacha

Charlie Pridham12/1/04 5:33

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I suspect that the NT is fairly rigid in its outlook, though to be fair,
Greenway garden is open for Magnolia and Camellia viewing on certain days -
not every day. I am not a fan of their approach to gardening which
sometimes gives the appearance of spending as little as possible on the
garden and using 3 petunias to cover 4' of bare earth.
Their approach to things is a bit inflexible.......

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Victoria Clare

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

This year Trellisick are open through Jan and Feb and lots to see, but
its a good bit further down for mike to go.

The website suggests they are open all week, but when my husband phoned
them on Saturday I'm sure he said, they said: Thursday-Sunday only ATM.

Best phone to check?

It rained like mad in the end, so we went shopping instead. Ah well.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 PM
martin

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:49:12 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

This year Trellisick are open through Jan and Feb and lots to see, but
its a good bit further down for mike to go.

The website suggests they are open all week, but when my husband phoned
them on Saturday I'm sure he said, they said: Thursday-Sunday only ATM.

Best phone to check?

It rained like mad in the end, so we went shopping instead. Ah well.

Isn't it waterproof? The BBC recommended buying tickets in advance, in
their holiday program on Sunday.
--
Martin