Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
hillier

Default tub potatoes

I planted potatoes in large tubs last year, and my biggest problem was
watering(over or under). What is the best way to know when and how much
water to use ? Do I need drainage holes up the sides of the tubs ? Can I get
a device to measure water content ? Should I use water retaining gel or
crystals ? and as I will be growing in compost what fertiliser will give the
best results? Sorry there are so many questions but I am a keen beginner.

Old 13-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "hillier" contains these words:

I planted potatoes in large tubs last year, and my biggest problem was
watering(over or under). What is the best way to know when and how much
water to use ? Do I need drainage holes up the sides of the tubs ? Can I get
a device to measure water content ? Should I use water retaining gel or
crystals ? and as I will be growing in compost what fertiliser will give the
best results? Sorry there are so many questions but I am a keen beginner.

Drainage holes in the bottom should suffice. I use a general purpose
compost or spent mushroom compost, and water until it trickles out of
the bottom of the tub. I give them Tomorite and a stinking tisane of
steeped weeds.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Dwayne

How often do you water? I watered mine a couple times a week and dug a lot
of small (about 1/2 the size of normal ones) potatoes. My aunt told me that
when she was a kid, they would plant the potatoes, pull weeds, and never
water them. This is in a place that doesn't receive over 2 or 3 inches of
rain all summer. She said that they always dug a bumper crop.

Dwayne

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
[...]

planting potatoes on a tub Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 1 06-04-2006 01:56 PM
Potatoes in a tub???? nambucca United Kingdom 49 07-02-2004 03:46 PM
Versailles Tub offer in today's Times Peter Crosland United Kingdom 0 11-06-2003 10:08 AM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 15-01-2003 10:36 PM