Old 03-02-2004, 12:32 AM
nambucca

Default Potatoes in a tub????

Has anyone grown potatoes in a large tub ?

I am thinking of lining a dustbin with a bin liner (both to have drainage
holes) and growing some in it

cos i guess its easy to pile in soil to earth up

experience/advice please

Old 03-02-2004, 12:38 AM
David Hill

".........I am thinking of lining a dustbin with a bin liner (both to have
drainage holes) and growing some in it cos I guess its easy to pile in soil
to earth up experience/advice please....."

This is where Bob Flowerdew's "Car tyres" would be good.
Use your bin liner folded down to one tyre height then as the potatoes start
sprouting then add a tyre, raising the sides of the bag as you go, then each
time the shoots get to be 8 or so inches add a tyre and earth up taking care
not to cover the top of the plants, this way the plants won't get to leggy
as they will have plenty of light.
If you use a Bin then the plants are going too stretch for the light, and it
is from the leaf nodes that you get the potatoes formed, so the more nodes
the more potatoes.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:16:07 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

Has anyone grown potatoes in a large tub ?

I am thinking of lining a dustbin with a bin liner (both to have drainage
holes) and growing some in it

cos i guess its easy to pile in soil to earth up

experience/advice please

Haven't tried it, but have been tempted by His Bobness, Duke of
Flowerdew's suggestion of using a tower of old tyres.
Earthing up consists of bunging another tyre on the pile when the
haulm reaches over the current tyre, and infilling with soil.

Harvesting is simply a matter of removing a tyre at a time.

You should have good results in a bin....I think this is the method
Geoff Hamilton ( mayherestinpeace ) used to bring on his Christmas
spuds.

Might be worth using a cheap potting compost, it would mean the crop
wouldn't be attacked by the slugs....and the spent compost could be
chucked on the garden as a soil improver.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
nambucca

Many thanks all
I will experiment
not sure where i will find old car tyres but will scout around

"Commercialdiver" wrote in message
I've done it in 12 inch wide pots for over xmas earlies in a greenhouse

using
bagged stable manure.

greg

Old 03-02-2004, 08:51 PM
jane

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:05:06 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

~Many thanks all
~I will experiment
~not sure where i will find old car tyres but will scout around

Try QuikFit or any other local tyre place! They have to pay quite a
lot for safe disposal of the old tyres, so are usually quite happy to
have someone take them away. But do remember to wash them first - you
don't want all the old oil products in your spuds.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 03-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Charles Thorpe

David Hill wrote:

".........I am thinking of lining a dustbin with a bin liner (both to have
drainage holes) and growing some in it cos I guess its easy to pile in
soil
to earth up experience/advice please....."

This is where Bob Flowerdew's "Car tyres" would be good.
Use your bin liner folded down to one tyre height then as the potatoes
start sprouting then add a tyre, raising the sides of the bag as you go,
then each time the shoots get to be 8 or so inches add a tyre and earth up
taking care not to cover the top of the plants, this way the plants won't
get to leggy as they will have plenty of light.
If you use a Bin then the plants are going too stretch for the light, and
it is from the leaf nodes that you get the potatoes formed, so the more
nodes the more potatoes.

Going to have a go with car tyres and a well pierced bin liner myself this
year.

I've got some ex Tesco spuds chitting away nicely in an eggbox on the
kitchen window sill. What should be a good time to plant them out?

I've never grown taters before, sny pointers welcome!

TIA

--
Regards, Charles

cthorp at ukfsn dot org
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"

Old 03-02-2004, 09:33 PM
David Hill

".....What should be a good time to plant them out?....."

depends where you are.
West Wales farmers try to plant around St David's day.
Cornwall could be a week or so earlier, whilst Scotland could be a month or
so later....depending which side of Scotland you are.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-02-2004, 09:55 PM
nambucca

Many thanks all
I will experiment
not sure where i will find old car tyres but will scout around

"Commercialdiver" wrote in message
I've done it in 12 inch wide pots for over xmas earlies in a greenhouse

using
bagged stable manure.

greg

planting potatoes on a tub Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 1 06-04-2006 01:56 PM
tub potatoes hillier United Kingdom 2 13-01-2004 03:36 AM
Versailles Tub offer in today's Times Peter Crosland United Kingdom 0 11-06-2003 10:08 AM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 15-01-2003 10:36 PM